Chapter 18 - Sneaking Suspicions

I knew it wasn't love. 

I didn't believe in love at first sight. To me, that stuff only happened in romance novels and movies. It was a far cry from reality. 

I mean, look at what love-at-first-sight got my mother. Lonely and behind bars. 

If that was the result of it, I didn't want it. 

So the question was, what was this strange attraction and why? 

I had only just met these people and I don't know them very well. Their peculiar and abnormal in ways I've yet to understand. I pondered on my thoughts on my way to the kitchen. 

There must be an explanation.

I was pulled out of my musings when I heard the door close. 

There were voices coming from downstairs, one male and one female, followed by foot steps. Carlisle, Esme, Emmett, and Rosalie were all working to finish the food. 

I quietly stood to the side and watched with interest. I couldn't deny how good it started to smell.

"Is she even Italian?" Rosalie said with irritation.

Emmett paused in what he was doing and looked up at her. 

"Her name is Bella." he said.

"I'm sure she'll love it no matter what." Carlisle said over his shoulder.

As their footsteps grew closer, Esme whispered something to the others before she grinned. She glanced at me before putting down her knife and walking around the counter. 

Seconds later, Edward and Bella came from around the corner with Bella following behind him. 

Esme walked up to them with a smile.

"Bella, we're making Italiano for you." she said politely.

"Oh..." she replied awkwardly.

"Bella, this is Esme. My mother for all intents and purposes." Edward introduced.

"Buongiorno." Bella greeted shyly.

"Motto belle." Esme smiled brightly.

"Giving us an excuse to use the kitchen for the first time." Carlisle replied.

I raised an eyebrow.

"I hope you're hungry." Esme said.

"Yeah, absolutely." Bella replied.

"She already ate." Edward interrupted.

The bowl in Rosalie's hand suddenly broke into pieces. 

I looked at her with shock before masking it with a blank look. 

And yet another weird thing about these people. 

An awkward silence settled upon everyone and no one really knew how to respond. 

Rosalie walked over the glass and looked like she was going to go-off when I interrupted her. The more time I spent with her, the more unreasonable I notice she is.

"I'm actually hungry." I said, catching everyone's attention. "Don't worry, Ms. Esme, I'll eat."

Rosalie looked at me for a minute before she scoffed and walked off. 

Emmett could only sigh and excused himself to go after his girlfriend. 

Esme and Carlisle just sent me a smile and the former nodded before returning behind the counter to finish the food.