Chapter 53

-------------------------------------------

Emmett's POV

-------------------------------------------

Iris looked down shyly.

"Missing us already?" I teased.

Blood rushes to her cheeks and she gets out the Jeep, shutting the door behind her. 

I chuckled as I turn off the car and get out. 

Rose and I are behind her when she opens the front door.

We were greeted by the sound of Johnny Cash's singing over the radio. The living room light was on and the T.V. was on, the volume low. 

We walk into the room to find Ms. Nancy sitting down knitting. When she notices us come in, she looks up at us in surprise before giving us a warm smile. 

Rose and I smiled back.

"Emmett. Rosalie. Happy to have you back." she greeted.

"Gran-Gram." I grinned at her.

"It's nice to see again, Ms. Nancy." Rose greeted softly.

Ms. Nancy then turned to Iris. 

"Sweetheart." she greeted. "How was school?"

"It was good. Nothing new." Iris replied. "How was yours, grandma?"

"The same." she replied. "I think I want to plant some flowers in the front yard."

Iris nodded. 

"I look up a few and we can decide what we want to plant." she said. "Unless you have a few in mind."

"I was thinking of some boxwood or maybe hydrangea." she said thoughtfully. "But we can still look at other options. I may find something better."

"Okay. We can do that this weekend." Iris scheduled before turning to Rose and I. "Can you guys help me bring my bags to my room please?"

"No problem." I smiled at her.

"Sure." Rose said before turning to Ms. Nancy. "We'll be right back, Ms. Nancy."

"Take your time dear." Ms. Nancy shewed. "I'll be here when you get back."

"It's not like you're going anywhere." Iris sassed.

Ms. Nancy scowled at Iris who was trying to hold in her laughter.

"Don't think I can't ground you, missy." she narrowed her eyes.

Iris stuck her tongue out at her before heading down the hallway. 

"I'll be back in a minute." she said over her shoulder.

Me and Rose take that as our cue to go grab the bags from the car. 

After excusing ourselves, we return to the car to get Iris' things. We manage to grab everything in one trip and ship it all to Iris' room. By the time we returned to the living room, Iris and Ms. Nancy were sitting at the dining room table with puzzle pieces scattered on the table top. 

Rose and I shared a look before moving to join them. For a minute, we looked like a small family.

"I see you went shopping again today." Ms. Nancy directed at Iris. "I thought you'd be tired of the mall right now."

"I am." Iris sighed. "But a friend's birthday is tomorrow."

"Iris shops a lot?" Rose inquired nosily.