Chapter 20 - A Trip to Seattle

I woke up early this morning to start breakfast. My grandmother was still sleeping so I decided to bring her breakfast in bed. 

After getting dressed and gathering my schoolwork, I made my way to kitchen and whipped up a fulfilling menu for her. I made oatmeal with eggs, a yogurt parfait, toast, sausage, and fresh fruit juice.

Once I was done making breakfast, I placed her things on a breakfast tray stand and carefully walked to her room. I lightly knocked on the door. 

When I received no answer, I opened the door and quietly entered.

The decor of the room was very old fashion like the rest of the house. It was cottage styled and had a cozy feel to it. 

I sat the tray on the mirrored dresser and walked to the side of the bed.

"Grandma." I said softly as I nudged her.

She continued to sleep.

"Grandma!" I spoke a little louder, shaking.

She moaned and slowly opened her eyes. 

I smiled at her and went to get the tray off the dresser.

"Sit up. I've made breakfast." I said.

When I returned to the bed, grandmother took her time sitting up and rested her back against the headboard. She was wiping the sleepiness from her eyes when I sat the tray in her lap. I then left the bedroom to get my own breakfast from the kitchen and returning with my own stand. 

After blessing the food, we began to eat.

"Thank you for the breakfast, sweetheart." my grandmother thanked before going into a fit of coughs.

I looked at her worriedly. "You need to take your medicine." I stood.

I walked to the bathroom and went into the medicine cabinet. 

I grimace at the sight of all the medication bottles in see along the shelves. 

I grabbed her heart medication before shutting the cabinet. Fixing her a cup of water, I walked back into the room and handed her medicine. 

Once she popped the blue pills into her mouth, I handed her the water to drink. After downing her glass, she sighed in what sounded like contentment or relief. 

She turned to look at me.

"Thank you." she said, feeling very emotional.

I gave her a soft smile and took her hand. "You don't have to thank me, grandmother. What matters most is the time we spend together." I replied.

She gave my hand a firm squeeze. She was about to speak again when I interrupted her.

"Let's eat grandmother or the food will get cold." I said, releasing her hand.

My grandma frowned but didn't comment. She picked up her spoon and began to eat. She hummed in satisfaction and I smiled. 

I was glad she liked it.

"Grandma?" I suddenly called out.

"Yes, sweetheart?" she replied, looking at me.

"I'll be going to Seattle this weekend." I informed. "I won't return until sometime Tuesday."

My grandmother frowned. 

"Why?" she asked.

"I'm going to purchase a new car there." I replied. "The car lots here don't have what I'm looking for."