Chapter 52

--------------------------------------------

Emmett's POV

--------------------------------------------

I turned to them.

"You guys ready?"

They both nodded.

Rosalie walks over to the passenger side while I open the door for Iris. 

She lets out a small 'thank you' as she gets into the car. She fumbles around with the harness, having a hard time buckling it. 

I was about to reach out to help when it finally clicked and she fastened the belt around her securely. 

When she looked up and saw me staring at her, she gave me a soft smile with a thumbs up, letting me know that she got it.

Blink for a moment before I chuckled helplessly. 

I shut her door before getting into the driver's seat and starting the car. After I back out, I drive onto the main road and make my way to the interstate. 

The car was silent and I thought deeply on what to say.

"How was school today?" I asked Iris.

"It was fine." Iris replied.

"Cool." I trailed off. "Did you eat?"

"Of course she did." Rosalie scoffed.

"What Rosalie said." Iris replied, staring mockingly at Rosalie.

I inwardly sighed. Women.

"How was your day, Em?" Iris asked me.

"It was fine until Rose left." I said with a pout. "Those last 3 hours were boring."

"Awww, did my Monkey Man miss me?" she cooed, pinching me cheek.

I pouted. 

"I missed you terribly." I lamented. "Even to say I miss you would be an understatement. I needed my angel to save me from the evil clutches of boredom."

She smiled at me widely. 

"I'm sorry, babe. I missed you too." she kissed me on cheek before whispering in my ear. "I'll make it up to you later."

My ears perked up at that and I turned to her with a deep look in my eyes.

"I'm holding you to that." I said lowly.

She grinned at me. 

"I know." she replied, winking at me.

I chuckled and happen to look in the rearview mirror to see Iris staring at us. 

There was a complex expression on her face and her brows were furrowed in deep thought. She eventually looked into the mirror, meeting my gaze. 

She quickly masked her face with indifference and looked away.

"You should pay attention to the road." she said.

I grinned at her, but didn't respond. 

I noticed how she would look at us sometime whenever Rose and I would have our small moments. There were a few times I'd catch a smile on her face. Sometimes she'd looked both confused and awed at the same time. Other times, there were hints of sadness and longing in her eyes. 

These different reactions made me even more curious of her.

It made me wonder how she truly felt and what she really thought about everything. Even though she's very straightforward, I could tell she held back a lot. This only increased my desire to be with her and peel off her layers until she was stripped bare.