Chapter 47 - Getting to Know You: Pt. 2

----------------------------------------

Rosalie's POV

----------------------------------------

When it comes to view, we hurriedly stopped in front of the door. 

Before I could move, Emmett opened the screen door and knocked on the worn door.

No one answered. 

We waited a minute and still no one came to the door. 

Em raised his hand to knock again when we heard slow footsteps move toward the door. From the sound, we could tell it was Iris' grandmother. 

About a minute later, the door was unlocked and opened.

"Emmett? Rosalie?" Ms. Nancy said in surprise.

I smiled at her. 

"Good morning, Ms. Nancy." I greeted. "Sorry to bother you this early."

She blinked before she shook her head. 

"It's no trouble at all." she said with a delighted smile. "Are you guys here for Iris?"

We both nodded.

"Come in." she ushered us in.

Emmett and I walked inside of the house and waited for Ms. Nancy to shut the door before allowing her to take the lead.

"Excuse the mess." she apologized, referring to her dirty clothes and the papers scattered across the table. "I was just out in the garden and Iris was helping me go through some paperwork."

"It's fine." I said. "We understand."

"I see were Lizzy gets a her green thumb." Emmett teased.

Ms. Nancy chuckled. 

"She's been a great help." she said with a trace of sadness. "Every since Waylon died, she took on a lot of his old responsibilities. I wish I weren't such a burden to her. She's such a good girl."

I frowned and Emmett immediately went to console.

"You're not a burden to her, Gran-Gram." he said, wrapping a arm over her frail body. "Iris loves you very much and would do anything for you. She would be mad if she heard you talking like this."

"I know." she sighed.

There was a brief silence between us before she spoke again.

"You guys can wait for Iris in her room." she said, turning to smile at us although it didn't reach her eyes. "I'll be out in the garden if you need anything."

Emmett released her and nodded. 

He didn't want to overstep is boundaries and neither did I. We didn't want to make things awkward like the last time.

"I understand, Gran-Gram." Emmett said. "Thank you."

I nodded in agreement. 

She smiled at us again before making her way to the back door. 

We watched her small form disappear into the backyard, leaving us alone the living room. 

Emmett and I shared a look before looking down the hallway. Knowing the way, we made our way to her room that was currently closed.

I knocked on the door gently. 

There was no answer. 

I looked at Emmett and he shrugged. I grab the handle and turn it, pushing the door open.