Twenty-five

It was three in the morning when I got up to puke.

Almost two weeks had passed since I last saw Fred, and I missed him terribly and while I missed him, I still wanted to strangle him. Though, I was much angrier with Carter than I was with Fred. They had both been lying to me, and somehow I found myself wondering if Fred knew about Kwan. He and Carter had been lying together for so long, so what if Fred knew that Carter killed Kwan and never told me? He certainly knew that Theodore had killed my dad and he knew I had been devastated, needing answers.

Answers that he had but refused to give me.

Sighing, I leaned against the wall next to the toilet, shutting my eyes. My head fell back against the wall and my breathing was shallow.

Around twenty minutes later, I had brushed my teeth and went back to bed. I fell asleep quickly and when I woke up again, I could smell bacon. Soft music played from the kitchen and I could hear Angie hum along to it.

When I walked out from my bedroom, I heard her laugh and as I approached, I saw her and George dance around to the music, laughing and having fun.

I watched them, not wanting to interrupt, but then George saw me.

"Morning Brooks." He grinned and Angie spun around, her hand still resting in George's.

"Hey. How'd you sleep?" Angie asked, a huge smile on her face, and I shrugged.

"I threw up around three." I said before yawning into my elbow. "I think I need to see a healer."

Angie nodded and George folded his arms over his chest.

"Of course. First, there's just something I want you to do." She said and walked over to the table where a pharmacy bag stood.

I cocked an eyebrow as she pulled a pregnancy test out from the bag, and then I shook my head.

"No."

"It's just to rule it out, Kai." Angie said as she walked over to me and held out the pregnancy test for me to take, but I just looked at it. "There're two in here. Take them both and if they're negative, George and I will call for a healer."

I stared at the test as if it was trying to kill me.

"That isn't happening." I said, shaking my head before I looked at Angie again.

"Oh c'mon, Kai. Stop being so fucking stubborn." She said and grabbed my hand, forcing the pregnancy test into my hand. "It's just peeing on a stick and wait five minutes."

"Oh, it's that easy, is it?" I asked, holding up the test. "This... this can change my entire fucking life. Two lines and everything changes."

"Not necessarily." George said, casually shrugging. "You'd have to talk to Fred, yeah, but he knows where you stand about having a baby right now and you know he wouldn't put any pressure on you about keeping a baby you don't want."

I sighed.

"Do I?" I asked, cocking an eyebrow and then I turned and walked down the hallway to the bathroom.

I shut the door behind me before opening the package and pulling out the two pregnancy tests.

I read the instructions, sighing as I did. I hated this. I hated having to take this test to satisfy Angie.

I knew I wasn't pregnant. I was on the pill and yes, I wanted to get off the pill but I hadn't done that yet.

I was sick which was very different from being pregnant, and I wasn't sick because I was pregnant. It was probably because of the shock of finding everything out after almost seven years.