Thirty-nine

"Kai?"

I hummed in response, my eyes glued to the floor. Fred was beside me, still holding one of my hands, and then I started crying, moving my free hand up to cover my face.

"Oh, love." He slipped his arm around my waist and pulled me close, letting me hide against him.

He ran his hand down my thigh and pulled it over his lap, helping me on top of him.

I slid my arms around his back, hiding my face against his chest.

"I'm scared too." He whispered, resting his head against mine. "We just need to take it one step at a time. We went to an ultrasound which made us aware, and now we can just prepare at our own speed."

I pulled back and wiped my cheeks before looking at Fred's face. I took a deep breath, trying to relax myself.

"This isn't what I wanted..." I whispered, running a hand to the nape of his neck, playing with his hair.

"I know..." he said, brushing his knuckles over my cheekbone.

"I'm gonna die." I breathed. "I can't give birth to triplets. My vagina won't survive that."

Fred laughed and let his head drop against my shoulder while I wrapped my arms around his neck.

"We'll be okay." He said, looking up at me. "Think about it this way... you'll only have to be pregnant twice."

"Twice?" I cocked an eyebrow.

"Yeah." He grinned. "We need a fourth child."

"Oh piss off, no we're not!" I shoved him in the shoulder and he let himself fall onto his back, pulling me with him.

I shrieked in surprise, pushing my hands to the mattress to keep myself from crushing him.

Not that I'd be able to crush him.

"You wouldn't want a small group of my children running around?" He asked, running his hands up and down my back.

"There is already a little group." I narrowed my eyes. "And three is more than enough."

Fred chuckled.

"You've got four siblings."

"And one is dead. The other I didn't grow up with."

Fred hummed in response and ran his hand along my neck. After he rubbed my skin for a moment, he reached back to pull my hair free from the ponytail.

It fell around my face and Fred smiled, pushing some of the hair behind my ear. Then he pulled me down and I kissed him.

Fred breathed in sharply, pulling me much closer against him. He ran his fingers into my hair, deepening the kiss as if he hadn't kissed me for years.

But then again, these days, it was rare that we actually kissed. Mostly, it was just a quick peck.

The only time we really made out now, was during sex, and that didn't happen that often either.

It was quite sad actually. After what happened with me being obliviated, we weren't as close as before.

He lived here again and we were together, still married, but it was difficult for me to completely trust him no matter how much I tried.

A door opened and I Fred didn't seem to notice. I laughed against his lips, then pulled away and looked at Maya who stood in the doorway.

"Oh, don't mind me." She said sarcastically.

I rolled my eyes before messing up Fred's hair as I got off of him and sat on the bed.