Forty-six

Mature content

Suddenly it was April first and I woke up before Fred to make him breakfast in bed.

A lot had happened in a month. Fred and I had started couples counselling, Carter moved back to the flat he shared with Martha before she was arrested, and I also started on antidepressants.

Right now, I was facing the side effects but hopefully, it was all going to be worth it in the end.

The first thing I did on the morning of April first, was feed Aaron and give him fresh and clean water.

While he eagerly ate, I started making the breakfast for Fred, putting everything on a tray.

While the first pancake was on the pan, I picked up our landline phone and called George and Angie's resident.

I leaned back against the counter as George picked up.

"Hi Kai."

I laughed.

"How'd you know it was me?"

"Would Freddie call me at seven in the morning on our birthday?"

"Right..." I breathed. "...well happy birthday, George. Why are you even up this early? It's Saturday."

"Arthur shat himself and Angie's in the shower."

"He's a baby. Babies shit themselves." I said, looking towards the bedroom door. "Unless you're talking about your dad."

"Ha... ha... funny. Dad's not that old yet."

"Hopefully he never gets that old. Your poor mother if she'd have to change his diapers."

George laughed.

"That's gonna be you and Fred some day. I'll bet my son that he's the one losing control of his system first."

I snorted into my hand, then pushed myself off the counter.

"Oh shit. Kai I gotta go. Angie's shouting. Time to make baby number two. Wish me luck."

"Too much information, George. Bye. I'll see you later." I said and then hung up, putting the phone back as I let out a heavy breath.

Baby number two.

It shouldn't be making my chest sting, but it did. Angie had no problems with her pregnancy. She's got a four-month-old son and now they're trying for a second.

Meanwhile I had a miscarriage about a month ago.

I kicked the counter, before taking a deep breath. I continued with the breakfast in complete silence, glancing towards the bedroom from time to time.

I made a stack of pancakes with some vanilla frosting and sprinkles which honestly made me laugh as I made it.

Then I had some small bowls with berries in them and a glass of orange juice.

I walked into the bedroom with the tray, putting it onto the bed before looking at Fred.

I walked around the bed and got on top of him, straddling his pelvis as he slept.

"Freddie." I whispered, leaning down to brush my lips over his ear. "Wake up."

He groaned in his sleep, trying to move away from me but he was basically stuck under me.

"C'mon baby." I said, running my hands up his chest. Then I turned his head to one side with a hand while leaning down to kiss his neck.

My nose rubbed against his skin and his breathing quickly changed as I placed kiss after kiss on his skin, leaving hickeys.