Forty-two

I threw my head back with a groan, pushing the paperwork away from me, sending it flying off the sofa table and onto the floor.

I leaned back on the sofa, groaning again as I punched my fists against either side of me.

I could hear Fred move around in the kitchen and I turned my head to look at him just as Aaron jumped onto the sofa and cuddled next to me.

Fred was making pasta, listening to music in his earbuds. Only one ear was stuffed while the free earbud hung over his shoulder.

I got up and crouched down where my papers laid spread. I gathered them neatly and then walked to the kitchen, leaning against the counter close to where he stood.

"Baby?" I asked sweetly.

Fred hummed in response, nodding his head to the rhythm of whatever song he was listening to.

"What's up, darling?"

"Do you think you can have a look at these?" I asked and placed the pile of documents on the counter.

Fred slid closer to me, placing a hand on the pile to pull it closer to him and he stared down at it, chewing on something.

"Don't you think it's time to hire someone for this?" He asked and glanced at me. "I've been helping you with finance since you opened the book shop, and I don't mind, but I think you'd feel more relieved if you hired someone to do this for you."

I chewed on my lip, my eyes dropping to the pile of papers.

"I'll have a look at it tonight, yeah?" Fred asked and offered me a smile.

I nodded and he wrapped an arm around me, pulling me against his side. He pressed a kiss to my temple while I leaned into his touch.

"Thank you."

"No problem. You know I'll help you whenever you need it."

I smiled weakly and leaned up to kiss his cheek. At the contact, Fred smiled widely, giving my waist a small squeeze.

"I love you." He whispered, now pressing a kiss to my forehead. When he pulled his head back again, I grabbed onto his neck and pulled him closer.

"I love you." I responded in a whisper, kissing his lips for a second.

"Do you want me to make you bowl of pasta?" He asked softly, eyes scanning over my face as I shook my head.

"No thank you."

"You sure? You haven't had anything today but a pear."

I offered him a smile and shook my head again.

"I can't get anything down. The appetite isn't there."

"I know, but you still have to eat. I'll make you a small amount and you'll eat what you can, alright?"

"Yeah, yeah. Fine." I shrugged, making my way to our bedroom.

I pushed the door a little. It didn't shut completely which was fine. Fred and I were the only ones in the flat.

Carter was visiting our mother so that she could meet her first grandson before she dies, but Myeong was being watched by George and Angie to give Fred and I some alone time.

I wanted to change my clothes into something a little more comfortable so I opened my trousers and pushed them down.

When I pulled them off and went to fold them, I noticed a dark reddish spot in the white fabric and frowned before moving a hand between my legs to see what it was.

When I looked at my hand again, my fingers were red and I felt my heart drop to the pit of my stomach.

I knew what this meant.