Forty

I shut the door before turning to Fred.

"If you're gonna defend Maya and argue with me, you can go ahead and drop it." He said. "When we were teenagers, I watched her push you around and—"

"She's my sister! Sisters argue!" I exclaimed. "We fight. We—"

"Bully each other?" He asked, and I rolled my eyes, making sure he saw. "Yeah, you may think I'm being ridiculous but you've been to hell and back and she knows that so I'm not allowing her to push you around when you need to go to your shop for a break."

"It's not a big deal, it's—"

"Maybe not, no, but you wanting to go to the shop to get away, isn't running away. You're taking care of yourself, taking a break, stepping away, and that is okay. You should be able to do that without being judged by your own sister."

"Judge?" Maya's voice spoke as the door ripped open. "I am not judging, but you do not know my sister like I do, okay? So mind your own business."

Fred laughed and turned to Maya while I ran a hand through my hair.

"She is my wife. You being her sister doesn't prove shit. That doesn't mean you know her better. Actually, I think it's the other way around. You never cared enough to be her friend when you were younger. Now you travel the world constantly and you barely even see her. Tell me three things about her that isn't based on when she was a teenager. Three things, Maya."

Maya didn't respond. She stared at Fred like she hated him. The same way she looked at him back when Fred and I just started going out.

"Do you know her favourite colour?" Fred asked. "Do you know what song makes her happy? It's not her favourite song but it's special because no matter what, it makes her incredibly happy. Do you know that she absolutely loves you? She misses you when you're traveling with your team, and she can't wait for you to come home. You don't know her. Your own fucking si—"

I noticed Maya clench her fist shut and just as she went to take a swing at Fred, I stepped forward, making Fred pause his sentence while I stepped between him and Maya.

"Touch him and I will kill you." I said. "I will actually fucking murder you."

I felt Fred's hand on my shoulder as he pulled me back.

"Get your shit and get out of my flat." I told Maya. "And don't ever think about hitting him again."

Maya didn't say anything. She walked back into the flat and Fred wrapped his arm around my shoulders, pinning my back against his chest.

"I hate everything." I breathed. "Dad being dead. Kwan being dead. Mum dying. Mum being an abuser. Maya being Maya. Carter being abused. I hate Martha. I—"

"I know." Fred whispered into my ear, pressing a kiss to my skin below it.

"My mum abused my dad." I breathed. "She was a domestic abuser and I only just found out. Carter and Maya both knew but I— how come I didn't?"

"The brain is a weird thing sometimes." He told me. "Maybe you suppressed some of it because it was too traumatic, seeing your mother hurt him. Maybe you just acted like it didn't happen until your brain started believing it."

"Great, so you're saying I'm crazy?"

"No." Fred laughed and turned me around to face him.

He cupped my face, wiping my cheeks with his thumbs. "I'm not calling you crazy. I'm saying you repressed it. It's a trauma response."