Thirty-eight

Fred was excited.

Very excited.

We waited in the waiting room and he was all fidgety, holding my hand and playing with the rings that sat on my fingers.

He was bouncing his leg, leaned back, sighing now and then.

He was excited, but he also seemed sort of nervous.

I looked at him, smiling. His hair was pulled back into a bun, his head hung low as he focused on my hand. A lock of his hair had escaped the bun and hung in front of his face.

I watched as she pulled one of the rings on and off, twisting it and repeating it.

"Are you okay?" I asked, causing him to look up, his eyes meeting mine.

"Yeah." He smiled. "Why wouldn't I be?"

I shrugged and leaned in, pressing a kiss
to the corner of his mouth before resting my head on his shoulder.

"You seem excited but nervous at the same time." I said. "Are you nervous?"

"What would I be nervous about?"

"I don't know, but you keep answering my questions with another question."

Fred let out a breathy chuckle before he rested his head on mine.

"I know you, Freddie." I said, lacing my fingers with his. I gave his hand a squeeze. "You can talk to me, babe. Tell me what's scaring you about this."

He sighed.

"What's scaring me is us getting in there and the doctor not hearing a heartbeat." He said. "I really want to be a father."

"I know." I said, tilting my head back to look up at him. "I understand why you're scared but I've got a strong arse uterus, remember? This is the third time I'm pregnant and the other pregnancies ended because I was hurt in ways that couldn't possibly save the baby. This time, the baby lives and we'll be parents in nine months."

I leaned up to press a kiss to his cheek.

"Kai Weasley?"

Fred basically flew out of his seat, causing me to bite back a laugh.

"Kai, nice to meet you." Doctor Eshmon smiled, putting out her hand for me to shake. "And congratulations on the pregnancy."

"Thank you." I smiled. "This is my husband."

I looked at Fred who now shook hands with our doctor.

"Fred." He introduced himself. "Nice meeting you."

We were led into the small room after our doctor told us to call her Michelle.

We started out by discussing the pregnancy and my last cycle and at last, we got to the ultrasound part.

I laid on the bed, my shirt rolled up over my stomach and my jeans opened to make more room.

Fred sat on the chair next to me, holding one of my hands tightly in both of his.

"There you go." Michelle smiled as she found the spot where the baby laid hidden.

I didn't recognise anything. I had no idea what I was looking at.

"This is your uterus..." she said, pointing to the screen, circling the outline of a black spot before zooming in. "And this is the sac where your—"

She stopped talking and my eyes flicked to her face to see if anything was wrong.

"What's wrong?" I asked and felt Fred's hands tighten around mine.

She moved around a bit, watching more of my uterus before she turned and looked at Fred and I.

"Is there any history of multiples in your family?" She asked.

"Multiples?" I asked. "My husband's a twin. Why? We're not having twins, are we?"

"Not quite..."

-

"Kai, for fuck sake... stop—"

I barged into the flat, ignoring my brother and everyone else as I hurried into the bedroom, slamming the door shut behind me.

I could hear Fred talk and shortly after, he joined me in the room.

"Did you tell them?" I asked as soon as he shut the door. "Don't tell me you told them before we've had a conversation about this!"

"What conversation! You keep storming away from me! I didn't tell them a thing but why are you angry with me? It's not my fault it's fucking triplets!"

I shushed him violently.

"They'll hear you!"

"So what?"

I laughed and shook my head before dropping down on the bed with a scoff.

"Kai—"

"Triplets? That's fucking insane." I laughed. "How is this supposed to work out?"

"I dunno." Fred shrugged, taking a step towards me. "We'll figure it out."

"Figure it out? Babe, I'm growing an entire family inside of me. How will we just figure it out?"

I looked up at him as he stood close to me, hands pushed into the pockets of the denim jacket he hadn't taken off.

"Well what do you want to do then? Abortion? You can either have a full abortion or just get rid of one or two of the babies, though I'll have to admit I don't like the idea of that."

"I'm not doing that, Fred."

"Then what? Adoption? Pick the one you'll choose to keep?"

"Stop."

"Is that it?"

"I'm not doing that either!" I yelled, standing up. "I'm not choosing! I don't want to get rid of them. I'm just scared!"

"I know. So am I, love."

"Then why are you trying to put me on the spot? Do you think I'd want to choose between our children and put some of them up for adoption? You think that's who I am?"

"No, of course not." He sighed. "I'm sorry I got defensive, but you were kind of freaking out on me."

"Not on you. Just freaking out..." I turned away and fidgeted with my fingers. "...I can't believe this is happening. Three kids, Fred. We need to get a fucking house or something... or— or a bigger flat."

"And we will. We don't have to worry about that right now. We've got time."

"Time?" I asked, looking at him again. "You heard Michelle. These babies will have to be scheduled to be born earlier. Usually, it's two months earlier with triplets. That's in four and a half months. We're not getting a house in four months!"

This time, Fred didn't respond. We were both realising the time rush we were in. We were probably both regretting that we didn't book that appointment earlier.

I mean, I was already nearly eleven weeks pregnant. You could clearly see a baby bump but I just thought it was a larger baby. I never expected to be carrying three.

I sat on the bed again, and Fred sat down next to me, grabbing my hand to give it a squeeze.

"Four months isn't a lot." He nodded. "I know that, but no matter what, we'll figure it out along the way. I promise you, we will."