Sixty-two

"Do you remember that dinner party at your mother's place?"

I looked up at Fred who approached the sofa after having been in the shower.

"What dinner party?"

"The one many years ago. Where you threw your ring in Felix' face after he kept calling you a whore."

I cocked an eyebrow, nodding slowly. "Why were you thinking about that just now?"

He shrugged his shoulders and sat down where I had my feet. He lifted my legs and placed them in his lap.

"I don't know. Things were simpler back then." He said, staring at the sofa table. "Remember the food? Your mum was a bitch but she could cook."

I nodded.

"She could." I muttered, staring down at the blanket covering most of me. "I miss her food, and I miss the mum she was before my dad died and she lost herself to addiction."

Fred nodded slowly while massaging my feet. He tilted his head and looked at me.

"But she was abusive towards my dad." I said, frowning slightly. "I still can't believe it. I mean... I remember hiding because they were fighting, but I don't remember her hitting him."

"Our brains work in weird ways when something traumatic happens." Fred explained. "You repressed it."

"I know that." I sighed. "I miss the old days too, though. I miss having parents. I miss when Maya didn't hate me and blame me for what happened to dad. I miss when we didn't have to worry about pregnancy and miscarriages."

I leaned forward and rested my forehead against Fred's arm.

"I don't want to live here anymore." I told him. "I want to get out of England."

"Yeah? And go where?"

I shrugged.

"Scotland." I said, lifting my head to look at him. "But then there's the shop and everyone we have here."

"Yeah, well there's the floo system, there's apparition and there're portkeys."

I frowned as I tugged on my lip.

"Wait... you're considering it?" I asked. "But we already signed the papers on that house."

"And we were told we had until the last day in the month to cancel it." He said. "We can do that and we can move to Scotland."

I stared at him for a moment, and when he saw my expression, he laughed.

"Why shouldn't we, huh? You just said you want to live in Scotland, and I think a change like that would be good for us. We can find a house with a lot of nature surrounding it. We can teach Aaron how to be an outdoor cat. Maybe we can get more pets. Maybe a dog or another cat."

"And what about a baby..." I whispered, my eyes dropping to his shoulder where I used my fingers to draw circles.

"When we've healed from what happened this week, we can look into options. We can continue the adoption process if that's what we want..."

I nodded.

"I like that idea."

"Yeah?" He asked. "So that means we're doing it? We're moving to Scotland?"

I nodded and lifted my eyes to meet his gaze.

"We're moving to Scotland."

-

I woke up in the middle of the night, my head resting on Fred's shoulder as his arm was wrapped around me.

He was sleeping heavily. He rested on his back, his head turned towards me, and I could feel his breath against my forehead.

The duvet was barely covering me. He had stolen it during the night but now it had almost ended up on the floor.

I had to pee.

I rolled away from Fred and slid my feet over the edge of the bed. They came in contact with the cold floor, and I sighed as I rubbed my hands over my face.

I got up and walked into the hallway, turning to the bathroom when a knock came from the front door.

I froze, staring towards the kitchen to see if I heard correctly. I stood there until a second knock filled the flat, and I winced.

Who the fuck is here in the middle of the night?

I slowly made my way into the kitchen, pausing when I reached the door.

A third knock made me jump, but then I sighed and looked through the peephole to see who was at the door.

George.

I unlocked the door and then pulled it open. George's eyes landed on me and he let out a heavy sigh.

"Thank god. I'm sorry. I didn't want to use your fireplace and intrude like that while you're asleep, but I have nowhere to go."

I stepped aside, allowing George to walk inside, and then I shut the door and locked it again.

"What's happened?" I asked. "Did something happen with Angie?"

"We had a fight." He nodded, turning towards me. "Can I crash on the sofa?"

I nodded slowly.

"She kicked you out?"

"Yeah." He sighed, running a hand through his hair. "I fucked up."

He moved to the sofa, collapsing on it, and I frowned while folding my arms over my chest.

"Fucked up how?"

"I don't want to talk about it." He muttered while I walked over to the sofa.

"Did you hurt her?"

"Hurt her?!" George turned onto his side and kept himself up by his elbow, staring at me.

"Not physically." I rolled my eyes. "I know you wouldn't do that, but... did you say something or do something to hurt her?"

He shrugged.

"We fought about kids." He told me. "I want more and she doesn't. She thinks two is enough. I got upset and—"

He shut his eyes.

"What, George?"

He shook his head.

"I told her that maybe I should find someone else who wanted to make my family complete." He said, and my eyes widened. "You don't have to look at me like that. I've had a little too much to drink and it just slipped."

"You absolute idiot." I scoffed.

"Then she shouted at me to get out and go find my future wife because she wants a divorce." He said. "Which I know she doesn't mean. I'm just gonna give her space and then I'm going to apologise."

I shook my head at him.

"Absolute idiot." I muttered, turning around before walking down the hallway to the bathroom.

After peeing, I walked into the bedroom and shut the door.

I crawled into bed with Fred, and the movement caused him to wake up. He groaned as he rolled onto his side and pulled me closer to him.

"Turn around." He whispered, and when I did, he wrapped an arm around me and spooned me:

I felt his breath against my neck and I smiled when he brushed his nose over my skin.

"Who was at the door?" He whispered, finding my hand before holding it against my chest.

"I didn't know you were awake." I said, shutting my eyes. "It was just George."

"What's George doing here?" He muttered and yawned.

"He had a fight with Angie and she kicked him out."

Fred hummed in response.

"I love you." He simply replied before he fell back asleep.