Thirty

A few days passed and Fred woke me up one morning to get me up for my first therapy session that Angie had made sure would happen.

He was crouched by the side of the bed where I slept, stroking my hair which was what woke me.

When I opened my eyes and looked at him, I knew exactly what today was, and I sighed.

The thought of getting out of bed made me want to cry. It seemed so difficult.

"Good morning, love." He whispered as he rested his chin on the bed, looking at me with his beautiful eyes. "We have to leave in two hours..."

"No." I muttered against my pillow and I felt Fred brush his knuckles over my cheekbone.

"We have to, lovely. You're gonna be so proud of yourself once you've finished the first session." He said, his voice calm and quiet.

I turned onto my other side, Fred's hand now resting on my shoulder. He stood up and made his way around the bed, laying down next to me.

He was on his back, staring at the ceiling while I pulled the duvet up over my chin and shut my eyes.

"I know getting out of bed is such a big thing for you, Kai, but I promise you'll feel better." He said. "I'll carry you to the bathroom if that seems easier."

"Can't we just reschedule?" I muttered and I felt Fred move a little. I could feel his eyes now glued to my face.

"You know that isn't an option. It's not gonna get easier for each time. If we push the date, you're still gonna find it hard the next time, and the time after that. It'll only get easier by time if you force yourself out of bed and out of the door."

When I didn't answer, Fred brushed a lock of my hair behind my ear, moving closer to me again.

He pressed a kiss to my cheek and I opened my eyes to look at him, tears filling them.

"I can't..."

"Yes you can, lovely." He whispered. "C'mon. I'll help you."

"No." I whispered as I broke into tears, covering my face with a hand. "I can't."

He brushed his fingers through my hair, pressing another kiss to my cheek.

"I'll let you sleep a little longer, alright? I'm gonna take a shower and when I'm done, I'll help you out of bed, yeah?"

I fell asleep again rather quickly, but when I woke up again, it felt like I hadn't actually fallen asleep at all.

I opened my eyes a little to see Fred, then groaned and turned away from him which caused him to laugh softly.

"I know, beautiful." He said, brushing hair away from my ear before leaning down to press a kiss below it.

I could feel his damp hair against my skin and when I turned over a little, I noticed that he was only wearing a pair of sweatpants.

"I'll carry you if I have to, Kai." He said and I groaned with anger, forcing myself to sit up.

"I hate you right now."

"I know you do."

I got off the bed, marching out of the room and down the hallway to the bathroom where I slammed the door shut behind me.

I don't know how long I sat on the toilet for, but when I finally had energy to move on with what I had to do, my feet were quite numb.

I washed my hands, dried them and then brushed my teeth. I felt disgusting but I didn't have any energy to take a shower, so I just left the bathroom and walked back into the bedroom.