Sixty-eight

George had gotten angry.

He ordered us both in the bedroom and he took our wands and locked us in as if we were children.

Fred was sitting on the bed, going through the divorce papers I had thrown at him.

When he got to the last page, he inhaled sharply, and then looked up at me.

"You've signed it."

I didn't answer. Yes, I had signed the divorce papers, but only to make it easier on him when he decided to leave me.

"Is this what you want?" He asked. "A divorce?"

I still didn't answer. I just stared at him, feeling my eyes tear up.

"Kai..." he sighed, standing up. I took a step back, wrapping my arms around myself as I shook my head.

He threw the divorce papers on the bed, and then took a step towards me.

"Tell me what's going through your head right now." He said. "Let me in. Please."

I shut my eyes, taking a deep breath.

"I only signed them so it would be easier for you." I admitted. "It needs one last signature and that's yours. I had them ready for the day you decided to leave."

"And you actually think I'd get to that point?" He asked. "Baby, I love you. I'll always love you. You are the most important person in my life."

"Yeah, you say that now." I laughed through the tears. "But your dream has always been to have a big family, and you won't get that with me. Even if we do end up having a child some day, the chances of having more than one, is very low."

"So? Babe that dream changed when I fell in love with you." He said and ducked his head to catch my gaze. "Ask me what my dream is."

I shook my head.

"Kai, ask me."

I sighed, laughing as I decided to play along.

"Fine. What is your dream, Fred?"

"You." He spoke. "You are my dream, Kai. Waking up to you every morning, getting to see you more than an hour each day. Getting to grow old with you. Any of the other stuff won't matter if I don't have you."

"But you can have all of that other stuff, Fred." I cried. "You can still have it."

"But I don't want it." He responded. "If it's not with you, then I don't want it, and you are more important to me than starting a family, because we are a family. We have each other, we have Aaron and we can get more animals if that's what we want."

I shut my eyes and brought my hands up to cover my face as my tears came faster and harder. I sobbed, and I felt Fred wrap his arms around me, pulling me into his embrace.

My hands went to his back and clutched the material of his shirt while I buried my face against his chest.

His arms were wrapped tightly around my shoulders, and he rested his head on top of mine.

He held me like he never wanted to stop again. We both clung onto each other, and I never wanted to let go of him either.

"Don't leave me." I then found myself whispering. "I didn't mean it. I can't live without you. You can't leave me."

"I'd never leave." He assured me, pressing a kiss to the top of my head. "I'll always be right here. Even through times like these."

"I don't deserve that." I whispered, lifting my head to look up at him. "I'm terrible."

"You're not terrible." He assured me, stroking a few fingers over my cheekbone, wiping away some of the tears. "You could never be terrible."

"But—"

"You deserve the world, Kai." He whispered, pressing a kiss to my forehead. "And we will figure this out, okay? Whatever it takes."

I nodded.

"I won't pressure you, but we need to communicate." He said. "Without communication, we will end up having to sign those papers."

I stared at him and he exhaled, then pressed another kiss to my forehead.

"You stink of alcohol." I said quietly. "How much have you had to drink?"

He sighed, shaking his head.

"I have no idea." He muttered. "A lot."

Then he chuckled and I let go of him at the same time he let go of me. He hesitated to take a step back, but then he did. His eyes were focused on me, and he moved a hand up to pinch the bridge of his nose.

"Do you have to work tomorrow?" He asked, and I nodded. "When will you be home?"

"I don't know." I said, scratching my arm, and Fred nodded slowly, sitting down on the end of the bed.

He moved back until he sat against the headboard, and I watched him while he threw his head back against the wall.

"I have a tight schedule tomorrow." I explained. "I have three classes to teach and then there's this meeting I have to get to and I also have to supervise detention."

He nodded, running his hands up and down his thighs.

"Will you be home for dinner?" He asked, and his eyes moved to mine.

"I don't know." I sighed, watching him shut his eyes, and I stared at him for a while.

Neither of us said anything. I couldn't have been staring at him for more than five minutes when he started snoring.

He had fallen asleep.

I stayed in that spot. I kept staring at him, my eyes tearing up again for no reason whatsoever.

I ran my hands over my face, letting out a heavy breath. Then I made my way to the bed and crawled onto it.

I laid down, cuddling up next to his body. I hesitated, resting my hand on his chest, and then I shut my eyes.

After a moment of laying there, I heard the door to the room being unlocked, but I just acted like I was asleep.

I didn't want to have to be faced with questions from George, Angie and Lee. I just wanted to sleep, and then Fred and I could face them tomorrow about the issues we have that they only learned about tonight.

"They're asleep." I heard Lee say. "And from the look of it, they've definitely reached some sort of milestone."

I heard footsteps and the floor creaking, but I didn't open my eyes. I was exhausted.

"Here." George's voice spoke and he must've handed a blanket to Lee, because suddenly I felt the soft fabric spread over both Fred and I.