Thirty-one

Fred sat in the waiting room throughout the entire therapy session, and when I left my therapist's office, he stood up, waiting for me to say something.

But I didn't. I looked at him and then I walked past him and left the building, walking straight out into Diagon Alley.

"How'd it go?" Fred asked as he showed up next to me. He held out his hand and as I took it, we began walking.

"She thinks I've got a panic disorder." I said, staring straight ahead. "And she says I've got depression, which is a load of crap."

"I think she's right." Fred said, causing me to look at him. "About the depression. I don't know about the panic disorder because you've only had one panic attack in years."

I didn't say anything, just looked away again, the conversation with my therapist repeating itself in my head.

"Did she say anything else?" He asked softly, intertwining his fingers with mine.

"She— next week we're going to talk about medication to fight the depression." I said. "But I'm not sure I'd want medication."

"No? Why not?"

"Because I don't want to depend on medication to feel normal. It would feel fake. And I'm pregnant. I'm scared the baby will have some type of birth defect from the exposure."

Fred gave my hand a small squeeze to make me look at him, and it worked.

"Does that mean you want us to have this baby?" He asked softly. He didn't ask because he was hoping the answer was yes. He was asking because he genuinely wanted what I wanted, and he wanted me to be happy about whatever I decided.

"Yeah." I breathed, and Fred offered me a small smile as he brought my hand up to his lips.

"Okay. Well, maybe you can talk to her about some antidepressants that has a low risk of harming the baby."

I shrugged.

"Low risk is still a risk."

Fred didn't say anything to that, and we walked for a while with no words leaving our mouths. I was lost in my own mind, continuing to go over my therapy session while Fred seemed to think about something as well.

"It did feel sort of nice to be able to talk to someone." I said and looked at Fred again. "Professionally, I mean. It's easier than to talk to someone where there is an emotional bond."

The corners of his lips tugged upwards into a small smile as he slipped his hand from mine and wrapped his arm around my shoulders instead.

He pulled me close and I couldn't help but smile as he pressed a kiss to my temple.

"Do you want to go grab lunch?" He asked and looked down at me, his head tilted to the side.

I hooked an arm around his back, enjoying the warmth of his body. Fred pressed another kiss to my temple and then I looked up at him.

"Where'd we go?" I asked. "The leaky cauldron?"

Fred laughed.

"No. Not the leaky cauldron." He smiled. "Unless that's where you want to go?"

I shook my head, smiling cheekily up at him.

"What?" He asked. "Are you smiling? Are you actually smiling?"

"Shut up..." I shoved him but he pulled me back.

"No no... I love this. You've been so down lately so it makes me happy to see you smile." He said and now kissed my forehead. "Where do you want to go for lunch?"