Seventy-six

I stared out of the window as Theodore placed her the special necklace around my neck.

A necklace that would shock me if I tried to do magic, or if I tried to run while we were outside.

I was allowed to go outside if someone was with me, but I'd have to wear this necklace.

I had no idea where we were, but again today, there was snow covering the ground. We had to be in January, hopefully still in England or Scotland somewhere.

Medicine had become something I was given every night so I couldn't stay awake.

For some reason, Kwan really wanted to look after me while pregnant, and make sure the baby was healthy.

I needed my sleep, because it was unhealthy for both me and my baby if I never slept.

I was waiting for the miscarriage to happen.

I hadn't bonded with this baby, because I knew I was going to lose it, so instead I just shut off whenever they mentioned the baby or the pregnancy.

"There." Theodore said as he had put the necklace on me.

He followed my gaze to the window, and I felt his arm slip around my waist, his head resting against mine.

"You wanna go for a walk out there?" He asked in a whisper. "In the snow?"

I nodded, and he took my hand, leading me out of the bedroom.

Most days, it was just Theodore and I down here. His brothers had lives, jobs. Theodore didn't. According to him, I was his life.

"I've gotten you some winter boots, and a coat." He said as we walked towards the locked door that led to the staircase.

He opened a small cupboard and pulled out a pair of boots and a coat, both my size.

He handed the coat to me, and I pulled it on before I pulled on the brand new boots as well.

"Whose house are we in?" I asked quietly, watching him fish out a scarf and a beanie as well.

"Gideon's." Theodore breathed, stepping closer to me.

He wrapped the scarf around my neck and pulled the beanie down to cover my ears.

Theodore was already completely dressed for the weather. He got dressed before he came into the room with the necklace.

"Do you—" he sighed. "You're gonna need some gloves too. It's freezing out there."

He walked back into the cupboard and I heard him shuffle with some things before he stepped out, carrying a set of black leather gloves.

"These were my sisters." He said, catching my attention.

Sister?

The Larch family didn't have a daughter. Theodore's parents didn't have a daughter.

He handed me the gloves, and carefully, I pulled them on.

"You don't have a sister." I said quietly.

"What? Oh, sure I do." He nodded. "Remember Samantha?"

I frowned at him, and he cocked an eyebrow.

"Felix never told you about Samantha? I mean, I know you've never met her but..."

He shook his head and let out a heavy sigh.

"C'mon. Let's go get some fresh air." He said and dug a key from his pocket.

He unlocked the door to the staircase, and waited for me to walk up. Then he locked the door behind us and I waited for him to unlock the door at the top of the stairs.