Eighty-three

Fred

"What do you mean; they've found her?!"

I stared at my brother-in-law who stood there along side my actual brother.

Harry and Ron both came to tell me they found Kai.

"If you tell me you found her body, I will—"

"She's alive." Ron blurted. "Kai is alive."

Relief flooded my body, and I had to hold onto the kitchen counter so that my knees wouldn't collide with the floor.

"She's at St. Mungo's at the moment, getting healed—"

"Healed?" I snapped and George had to reach out and keep me back from falling when I stepped away from the counter. "What's wrong with her? Why does she need to be healed?"

Harry and Ron shared a look.

"It seems that they left her to die in a bathtub. She was almost completely naked and uh—" Harry cleared his throat. "she was bathing in her own blood."

My eyes widened to the point where I thought they were going to pop out, and then tears blurred my vision.

"The healers told us she was haemorrhaging." Harry explained. "She uh— she had just given birth."

My entire world stopped just then, and I sunk down, sitting against the counter, one hand moving across my mouth.

"She gave birth?" George asked, equally as shocked as I.

Harry could only nod.

"It looks like she might've done it on her own." Ron said. "We caught Theodore Larch not far from the house where they kept her. He's in our custody but he hasn't said a thing. The only thing in the bathroom was a pair of bloody scissors. No professional equipment."

I rubbed my hands over my face, shaking my head. My heart was hurting. Everything was hurting, and I was crying, and I was shaking and I just couldn't believe it.

That bastard got her pregnant and she had his baby. She was forced to lie there and give birth all alone, to his child.

I couldn't imagine how scared she must've been. How alone she must've felt.

"So she's at St. Mungo's right now?" George asked. "Can we go see her?"

"Only immediate family, unfortunately." Ron said. "So Fred, since you're her husband, you can go see her, but unfortunately George, you can't. Not yet."

After the two left, George came back over to where I sat on the floor.

"Hey. This is good news. She's safe. She's coming home."

I shook my head.

"She was forced to birth his child." I said, and then there was a knock on the door before Ron poked his head in again.

"We forgot to tell you that Theodore tried to steal the baby." He said, pushing the door open further. "We caught him with the baby."

I bit down on my tongue.

"He left her to die and then ran with the baby?" George asked, and Ron gave a small nod of confirmation.

"But the baby is safe and is with Kai at St. Mungo's."

"Ron?" George asked when Ron went to leave again. "Is it a boy or a girl?"

I stared at the floor as Ron answered.

"It's a boy."

-

I walked down the hallway at St. Mungo's. The same hallway they told me Kai was on.

I was looking at the many different doors, trying to look for the right one. They had gotten her a private room because this was a special case.

She has been kidnapped, forced to sex and to give birth to her kidnappers child.

I was going to see her.

After nine months, I was actually going to see her again. She wasn't dead. She was alright, and she was here, she was safe.

I stopped outside of the door that led to the room, and I paused, because I was terrified.

I didn't know what they had done to her, so I had no way of knowing if she was going to look any different, and that scared me.

And I had to face what happened to her. I had to sit there and talk to her about this baby that she was forced to have.

I didn't know how she felt about the baby.

I didn't know if she wanted to keep it or put it up for adoption.

I had no idea about anything.

But I pushed open the door and walked inside, my eyes landing on her almost immediately.

She was asleep.

She looked the same. She was sleeping in the hospital bed, on her back. She looked so clean, her hair brushed through.

But her skin was pale and it was obvious she hadn't seen the sun a whole lot while being locked up.

There was a bassinet next to her bed, but there wasn't a baby in it. The baby was in the arms of a healer that stood in the room.

A young woman who was checking the baby to see if he was healthy.

"You must be Fred." The healer said when she noticed me.

She followed my gaze to Kai.

"She's just asleep. She should wake up within the next hour." She told me, and I nodded slowly before walking towards the bed.

I could feel the tears on my cheeks. I could feel them run over my skin.

I had cried so much these past nine months that I had no idea how I still had any tears left.

I sat down on this chair that stood next to her bed. I reached for her hand, and I studied it, how it laid perfectly in mine as always.

She had been biting her nails. They were completely fucked up, and I hated seeing it. She only bit her nails when she was either uncomfortable or stressed, and she had been both of them for nine months.

"I love you so much." I whispered, pressing a kiss to the palm of her hand. "I'm so happy you're okay."

I held her hand, not letting go while I ran my free hand over her hair.

She looked so beautiful. So delicate.

"I'm sorry this happened to you." I whispered. "I don't know how I didn't sense something was wrong... or maybe if I had offered to shower with you, this wouldn't have happened."

I inhaled sharply, shaking my head, and I let the tears run freely while lifting her hand again, pressing another kiss to the inside of her palm.