Fifty-nine

I'm lonely.

And I miss my friends, but they're keeping a distance from me since I tried to off myself twice last week by overdosing.

I'm dealing with a lot rn and I need them ;((

-

"Kai!"

The front door slammed shut while I sat on the bedroom floor, surrounded by papers. It was all stuff I had written down that connected to Kwan's murder.

Some were theories, and others were facts.

I had spent the last few hours doing all of this, while Fred finished his paperwork at the shop.

But now he was home.

When he walked into the bedroom, I looked up, only to see Fred's worried face. He looked at me and saw all of the papers covering the floorspace nearest me.

"Kai, beautiful..."

"Listen. I think— if I just visit Martha in Azkaban—"

"No." Fred cut me off. "No way you're doing that."

"But Kwan—"

"Kwan, is dead, Kai." He said. "Why are you suddenly all hung up on the idea of him being alive?"

"He was there, Fred!" I shouted. "In the shop! He bought a screaming yo-yo and he talked to me."

"Yet he didn't know who you were... because it wasn't Kwan. I'm not trying to be harsh, but you need to understand that it wasn't him."

I shook my head, going back to my papers. Fred left the room and when I noticed, I followed him.

He was on the phone.

"Who're you calling?"

Fred looked at me, offering me a faint but worried smile.

"Why don't you believe me?" I asked. "I need you to believe me!"

"One second." He said into phone before placing it against his shoulder, giving me his attention. "I do believe you, baby. I believe that you saw him, but I also believe he just looked like Kwan."

I shook my head, grabbing onto his arm as he pushed the phone to his ear again.

"No. Freddie it was him. His name was Kwan... he—"

"Just get over here." Fred spoke into the phone. "Use the floo system. I'll see you in a moment."

Fred hung up the phone and put his attention on me again.

"What are you doing?" I asked. "Who was that?"

"Carter. He'll be right over."

I frowned, digging my nails into his arm as I pulled him closer.

"Why the hell did you call my brother?"

"Because he's one of the two people who know for sure that your eldest brother died nine years ago."

I pushed him away from me, causing him to sigh.

"He was there, Fred!" I spoke, loud and clear. "I am not fucking crazy!"

"I know you you're not, lovely. That's not what I'm saying."

"It really feels like you are." I laughed, running my hands through my hair. "If you— I—"

I didn't know how to say it. I ran a hand over my mouth, staring at the floor for a minute.

"If the roles were reversed, I would believe you." I said quietly.

Silence filled the room for a moment, until the sound of fire announced my brother's arrival.

Carter stepped out, wearing grey sweatpants and a white hoodie with the hood pulled over his head.

"You two are lucky I wasn't alone with the kids." He said, yawning into his sleeve. "Why did I need to get here so quickly?"

Fred looked at me.

"Kai, pretty. Tell him what you told me."

"So you can both call me crazy?" I asked. "No thanks."

"I never called you crazy..."

"No but that's what you think." I scoffed, folding my arms over my chest. "Carter, I'm sorry you came here for nothing, but you can go home."

Carter looked at me for a moment, his eyebrows furrowed, before moving his gaze to Fred.

"She thinks Kwan is alive."

For a moment, no one said anything. Carter looked at me, and then pushed his hood down, revealing his face completely.

"Why do you think that?" He asked, and I shrugged in response. "Have you seen him?"

I stared at my brother.

Why did he ask it like that?

"You know..." I said quietly, before my eyes widened. "He's alive! Right?! He's—"

"Kai, I didn't say that. I—"

"Just... tell me the truth, Carter." I said, letting out a heavy breath. "You're both making me feel crazy. I saw him. I sold him something at the shop but he didn't recognise him. It was him, Cart... his voice, his face and everything. I swear I'm not crazy."

Carter hesitated. He closed his fists only to open them again, rubbing his hands along his thighs.

"Carter, he's not alive." Fred said, but Carter gulped and glanced at me before focusing on my husband. "Is he?"

"I mean..." Carter sighed. "I've been suspicious about it lately. Martha said something when I saw her in Azkaban a couple of days ago and—"

"You went and saw Martha?" I cut him off, but he ignored me and continued speaking.

"— I wasn't there when Martha killed him. I never saw it happen, but I did see his body and that's what's confusing."

"Don't tell me you believe this." Fred sighed. "There was a funeral. Your brother has a grave!"

"Fred—" I placed a hand on his arm but he took a step away.

"No. I know you, Kai, and if there is the slightest proof that Kwan is alive, you're gonna go play auror, which you can't be doing in your... in your condition."

"Her condition?" Carter asked but didn't get a response from either one of us.

"Kwan is my brother! He's alive and—"

"Kai!" Fred snapped, shutting me up. "I'm sorry, but I really don't want you to get your hopes up like that. If you start looking for clues, you're gonna get completely sucked up. You'll forget to sleep and eat and if you then find out he is dead, you're gonna go back to living in that bed."

He pointed towards our bedroom, before dropping his arm again.

"I love you, but I'm not watching you break yourself because of this."

"Because of this? My brother—"

"Your brother most likely doesn't even remember you if Martha is the reason why he's still alive. He's probably been obliviated or something."

"Yeah, but why is he in Diagon Alley? She would've made him move somewhere far away. Why is he here?"

"I don't know, but I do know that you have other things to focus on. Yourself, for example."

I stared at him, slowly shaking my head, and Fred stepped closer, cupping one side of my jaw.

"I know you don't know how to let go, but you have to try. For your own sake. Let Carter figure it out if that's what he wants to do."

"But..."

I didn't know what else to say. I knew he was right. I was pregnant, we were starting a family and that needed my focus.

But the thought of Kwan being alive was a lot.

I wanted my oldest brother back.

"Okay." I whispered, looking down at the floor while Fred pressed a kiss to my forehead. "I'll let it go."