Twenty-seven

"What?"

Fred stared at me as if I had three head. I could almost see his thoughts racing as he took a step back from me.

He looked around before rubbing his hands along the fabric of his jeans.

"Are you sure?"

I shrugged.

"Unless both tests were wrong."

Fred ran his hand into his hair while he walked through the shop without saying anything.

I looked to see where he was going but then he turned around, froze and looked at me.

"When did you find out?"

I leaned against the counter, drawing circles on the surface, using my finger.

"This morning."

"...okay." He said quietly. "Well, have you decided what you want to do? I'll go with you to the abortion clinic..."

I looked up and our eyes met.

"...if that's what you want." He added when he saw my expression.

Confusion filled me and I looked at him for a moment, before speaking.

"I thought you wanted a baby."

"I do." He nodded. "But I also know that you don't want that right now."

I looked at the floor as I nervously shifted the ring on my index finger. Fred's eyes were burning into me as if searching some kind of answer, but I didn't have one.

I had already lost a baby in two different pregnancies. One of them was unwanted, but the other... I mean, was I disappointed when I found out I had been pregnant before I got stabbed? Yes.

That sort of made me look at this differently. I could've been a mother now if Theodore hadn't almost killed me.

I couldn't see myself get rid of this baby. Not when I'd been robbed of one years back.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Fred's voice caused me to look up.

As our eyes met, I inhaled sharply. Fred tilted his head, looking at me with such a soft expression that made me want to hug him and tell him to come back home.

"I don't know..." I said in a whisper. "...I don't know if I'm gonna keep it, I don't know when you can come home, I don't know what to do about Carter... I don't know anything, and I— I need a fucking break..."

I took a deep breath.

"And I miss you so much and I want you to come home but I don't trust you, Fred. I'm scared that if I turn my back, you're gonna obliviate me again."

Fred was tearing up but I could tell he was trying to keep himself from crying. He cleared his throat before he spoke.

"I am so sorry. I shouldn't have listened to your brother. I thought I was doing the right thing."

"I know." I nodded. "But that doesn't change anything does it? I need to figure this out and then I'll..."

I looked towards the door.

"No, Kai, don't leave please." Fred let out a breath and I closed my eyes, hating how hard it was. "You've no idea how much I'm missing you. I want to come home."

"Fine." I sighed. "You can go home and have the flat, and I can stay with someone."

"I don't care about the flat. You're my home, Kai."

I still looked at the door, but my body completely froze. I didn't say anything. I didn't know what to say.

"I'm your husband for fuck sake, Kai!" Fred spoke, his voice desperate. "I want to be at home with you. I want to wake up next to you. I want to be your husband again, and not just the person you're married to."