Treacherous Waters

"We've had a pretty rough time so far in India, Adalet! First an earthquake in New Delhi and now a tsunami here in Mumbai?" Jack exclaims, "it makes me miss Siberia... it was bitterly cold, but at least we were chasing SOMBRA! Like real special agents!"

"The people of India need us more right now," Adalet argued, "SOMBRA will just have to wait! At least they seem to be dormant right now..."

"Do you think SOMBRA's really gone dormant, Adalet? Or will they resurface just when we least expect them?" he wondered.

"Quit philosophizing, Archer!" Ingrid snapped, marching up to them, "the Chief wants Agent Adalet and you to check out the Mumbai Museum."

"A museum? Ingrid, don't you think that mission would be more suitable for Dupont?" Jack suggested, boredom already setting in.

"We've had reports that the museum was flooded in the tsunami! People could be trapped inside! Go and help Adalet save lives, Archer!" she ordered.

Ingrid gave them the address for the flooded museum to search for victims. Jack and Adalet drove through the torrential downpour from above dodging potholes and fallen trees until they reached the building. They pulled on some extra tall rain boots and their raincoats before running through the rain and the main entrance of the museum. Thankfully once inside the building, they were out of the rain that continued to pound upon the ceiling and walls around them.

Adalet and Jack waded through the water flooding the building and made their way through the exhibits calling out in case anyone was inside. No one responded and they eventually reached the main exhibit, a grand room with green walls and gold columns lining the path and a huge whale skeleton hanging from the ceiling.

They noticed a man dressed in a light brown police uniform slumped against a display case of an antique vase. His chest was soaked with blood and the water around him was stained red. On a pile of debris near the body was a wet piece of paper while a bag floated in the water several feet away.

"Adalet, what kind of museum has a huge whale skeleton on the ceiling, and a... dead guy soaking in the water?" Jack exclaimed, noticing the body in the water, "hold on, Adalet: the victim's wearing a police uniform! His name tag says he's Constable Deepak Kumar."

"There's blood on the victim's chest!" Adalet notes, pointing to the hole in the man's chest, "maybe he didn't die in the tsunami... it looks like a bullet wound!"

"Adalet, a dead cop is never good news," he glares, "but now, right after the tsunami, the last thing Mumbai needs is a cop killer!"

"And we'll need to notify the victim's commanding officer about this!" she says, grabbing the soaked paper from beside the body.

"And that bag has the Mumbai Police logo on it! It must belong to the victim! Let's see what's in it!" Jack said, fishing it out of the water, "and what's with that soaked paper? Looks like a receipt for a tuk-tuk ride. People use those motorized rickshaws as taxis here!"

"The signature on the receipt matches the victim's name!" Adalet reports, looking between the paper and nametag, "restoring the rest of the writing might help us retrace his steps!"

"Adalet, the tsunami was bad enough, but dead cops are even worse!" he declared, "and we can't make the flooding better, but we sure can catch this killer!"

Adalet sent the body to the morgue through one of her portals before she dusted the faded receipt. As she was working, Jack unzipped the victim's bag to search it. The bag was stuffed with equipment like safety vests, handcuffs, flashlights, a couple of batons, and some snacks. As he dug further into the bag he found a wet notebook. Flipping through it he noticed that some of the pages had been torn out.