Shadow Nation

In the Sovereign Democracy of Luzaguay...

"Anders, we've finally made real headway in our investigation into SOMBRA! Thanks to Michelle, we've learned the name of SOMBRA's leader: El Rey! This El Rey might pull the strings behind the scenes, but now we know of his existence, he won't be able to escape us for much longer!" Chief Ripley proclaims, "we've also discovered that SOMBRA's been around longer than we thought. They sent an unsuccessful expedition from Argentina to Antarctica as early as the 1950s! One of the individuals on that expedition, Alejandro Pratx, later emigrated to Luzaguay. We met Pratx's granddaughter in Argentina, where she killed Ernesto Cárpena on SOMBRA's orders. And those orders came directly from Luzaguay!"

"Hey, Anders. The Sovereign Democracy of Luzaguay is proving quite the enigma!" Elliot says as he walks past the briefing room to return to his lab, "after hours of research, all I've discovered is that a certain President Herrera came to power 30 years ago and started making the country increasingly insular."

"Well, the easiest way to learn about the place is by hitting the streets!" Carmen declared, "let's have a look around, Anders!"

Anders and Carmen left the plane and drove into the heart of the city. They parked along the main street and got out to walk around and look at the sights. The city looked like a regular place, but the stone building and lack of colour made it depressing to look at. But even stranger than the architecture was the fact that they had yet to run into anyone despite being in the downtown area.

"That's odd, Anders. It's the middle of the day, but hardly anyone's around!" Carmen voices what they were both thinking, "ah, I see someone. Excuse me? Sir? We'd like a word!"

The Luzaguayan jumps, looking over as he nervously tugs his shirt collar, "yes? What do you want?"

She smiles, "we're visiting the area. Could you-"

"Visiting? Nobody visits Luzaguay!" he cried, shocked, "our Beloved Leader doesn't tolerate tourists!"

"Sir? SIR?!" Anders yells as the Luzaguayan citizen runs away. But his call falls on deaf ears as the man disappears down an alleyway.

"That's weird, Anders. Let's see if we have more luck with someone else!" Carmen says, spotting an elderly lady walking out of a shop in front of them, "ma'am, may we have a word? We're from the Bureau-"

The woman flinches, backing away from the agents, "stay away from me!"

Carmen groans as the woman rushes off, "Anders, this is hopeless. Nobody wants to talk to us!"

"No citizen does," Anders corrects, looking towards a grand building in the distance, "so let's not waste our time trying to question them. If the people won't talk, maybe the authorities will. I can see the City Hall over there; let's see if any of them will talk to us!"

The partners hurried up the street to the large building with the Luzaguayan flag flying on a pole in front of the entrance. They climbed the steps and pushed open the doors to enter the City Hall lobby. But just like the streets outside, there was no one in sight.

"There's nobody here, Anders!" Carmen complained, her voice echoing around the wide room.

"If we really want answers, we should go straight to the source," Anders decided, leading the way to the second floor, "let's head to the President's Office!"

Anders and Carmen quickly located the President's office. When Anders knocked on the door, it creaked open. The agents shrugged and entered the room to speak with the President. Unfortunately, they immediately discovered they wouldn't be getting any information from him either... The dead don't talk.