Fathers and Death

"How long does it even take to refuel this plane?" Jonah inquired as he and Fili stood outside watching the fuel truck pump fuel into their plane.

"Like an hour," Fili shrugged, "Astra's a big plane, it takes time to fill her!"

"Astra? You named the plane?" he questioned, slightly surprised.

He beamed, "yup! She's the one carrying this team all over the world, she deserves a name!"

"If you say so..." he muttered as the pilot's phone began to ring, "you going to answer that?"

"Oh yeah, just give me a sec..."

Fili fished the phone out of his pocket and checked the screen. The caller ID told him Starlight was calling so he answered it and moved the phone up against his ear.

"Hey Anders, how's that G.I.A business going?" Fili asked.

"About thaaaaaat...." Anders draws the word out nervously, "you see it was more of a favour to a friend so I told Ripley it was G.I.A business so she'd let me go and well... It may or may not now be considered Bureau business?"

"... Why do I feel like your goin' to tell me you've found a body?" he deadpans.

"Er... Because I may or may not have found one?" he replies sheepishly.

He sighed, "my family may have a knife curse but you have a curse for finding murders!"

"I'm sorry!" Anders whines, "it's not like I go looking for murders, they find me! Can you send me some help, please?!"

"Well Jack's busy video callin' his girlfriend and I haven't seen Carmen recently..." Fili trails off as he glances at the man beside him, "how about Jonah?"

"Me?!" Jonah exclaimed.

"Jonah?" Anders repeats, "you know what, I'll take almost anyone, just have him bring my case and I'll meet him outside!"

"Outside where?!" Fili asks, realizing his husband had never mentioned where he was.

"The Khan Shatyr Mall!" he answers, "thanks Sunshine, love you, bye!"

Anders ended the phone call before anyone else could get another word in. Fili stared at the phone for a few seconds before shrugging and then pocketing it.

"Looks like you've got a second chance at being an investigator, Jonah!" Fili laughs.

"But I'm terrible at investigating!" Jonah argued, "I don't know what to do!"

"Just let Anders take the lead and watch his back, it's easy!" he assured the older man, "you'll be fine!"

He sighed, "fine, but if it goes to hell, I'm blaming you!"

"I can live with that," he grins cheekily, "knock 'em dead! Er, not literally, though!"

Jonah grumbles a little more but still goes inside the plane and into Anders and Fili's room to retrieve the investigator's tool case. He took one of the motorcycles from the garage and followed the GPS to the mall where Anders was. The Hybrid was waiting for him outside just like he said he would and took his case from Jonah with a word of thanks.

"So, where's the body?" Jonah inquired.

"It's inside by the entrance of a jewellery store," Anders replies, leading the way inside the oddly shaped building. It sorta resembled a slanted pyramid or a weird tent.

The inside of the mall was shaped like a circle with three levels filled with shops and entertainment places like arcades and Jonah even spotted a sign promoting a water slide further in. Anders led Jonah through the empty mall, up two flights of escalators to the third floor and halfway around the circle to where the jewelry store was. Near the front of the store was the body of an older man, who appeared to be in his mid or late seventies, lying against the centre display case with blood splattered against the glass of the case.