In Plain Sight

Bureau Briefing Room...

"What do you mean our witness is dead?!" Adalet demands, her and Michelle standing at the end of the table, addressing the team sitting around it.

"Just like I said, Lavinia's been murdered in her holding cell!" Carmen repeats, "I went to check on her and found her dead on the floor!"

"Dammit!" she growls, "just when we were going to find out who her contact in the Bureau is... And only the mole could've killed a detainee right here at headquarters!"

Jonah bangs his fist against the table, "if the mole's bold enough to commit murder under our noses, then all bets are off!"

"Who asked for your opinion, blockhead?" Jack glares, "you think you're above suspicion and an expert-"

"Gentlemen!" Ingrid snapped, "a code red emergency calls for discipline and order! The procedure's clear: Adalet's in charge of finding Lavinia's killer and thereby exposing the traitor! Everybody's expected to cooperate!"

A murmur of agreement came from the team members, everyone fearing to be on Ingrid's bad side.

Ingrid nods in approval, "Michelle will assist Adalet in this investigation. She hasn't been with us long enough to be the mole... and she won't be swayed by personal bias towards the team."

"Personal bias? Michelle's been SOMBRA's lawyer for years; how's that for a personal bias?!" Jack yells.

"One more word, Archer, and I'll have you escorted off the premises!" she barks.

"Well, Michelle," Adalet turns to the lawyer, "are you ready to become an investigator?"

Michelle looked nervous but took a deep breath to calm her nerves, "Adalet, I'll be honoured to offer my support."

Ingrid reaches into her pocket as she moves to stand beside Michelle, "I'm authorized to give you this badge, Michelle! You're now a member of the Bureau."

The lawyer was momentarily stunned as she saw the Bureau badge in Ingird's hand. But Michelle shook herself out of her trance and took the badge with a nod of thanks.

"I won't let you down!" Michelle vows, "give me a second to get ready! I'll meet you at the crime scene!"

The team dispersed from the room, most heading to their offices/labs or bedrooms. Adalet and Hunter descended to the lower level while Michelle changed her clothes, and they entered Lavinia's cell. The dead woman was wearing her orange prison jumpsuit and slip-on shoes. She was lying slightly curled up on the floor with blood pooling underneath her head from the bullet hole in her forehead. Looking around the small room, Adalet notices broken pieces of metal, plastic and leather on the bed against the wall. She also spots the security camera mounted in the corner of the hallway with a perfect view into the cell.

As Adalet inspected the bullet wound which killed Lavina, Michelle arrived wearing a new outfit. The lawyer's hair was parted over her left shoulder, and she wore her regular white shirt but had changed into blue pants held up by matching suspenders. She had two identical necklaces with red and blue-coloured beads, her pearl earrings, and her new Bureau badge on the right side of her shirt.

"Adalet, I'm used to visiting criminals in jail, but they don't normally have a bullet in their head!" Michelle declared, slightly disgusted by the pool of blood, "at least we have a clear motive: Lavinia knew who the mole is! The murder was an act of desperation. We need to fight back with dispassionate logic. No signs of forced entry on the crime scene...."

"Which we know the killer wouldn't need to do since they live and work on this plane," Adalet stated.

She nods, spotting the clue Hunter stood beside, "those broken pieces are the only things out of place."