❦2 • c o m e a s y o u a r e

• M O L L Y •

___

Today, I woke up in a beat down hotel near all of the nice ones. I just needed a place to sleep, and thankfully I found one. The blanket didn't smell the best and I'm sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me when I saw a spider by the TV last night, so I turned the heat up as high as it could go so I didn't have to use the bedding on the hotel bed.

I checked out a little bit ago, and now I am going for a walk to walk in and apply at a workplace. Anywhere is fine, and the first person who takes me, I'm staying right there.

I've been to grocery stores and have checked out some famous high-end up clothing stores, none of them are hiring or near my pay rage. I know right now that anything is better than nothing, but I don't want to start off small and then not have enough right when I need the money.

The logical part of my brain is telling me to take the job that would pay me monthly, but I just can't do it.

I walk into an old down basement-looking type bar and walk toward the bar.

"What can I get for you?" A tall brown haired man asks me.

"Actually, I was wondering if you guys were hiring..." I ask quietly and look around at the bar, looking at all of the bottles on the shelf behind the man who's shaking his head at me. I frown slightly before smiling at him and thanking him anyway. I turn around to leave, but before I can do that he speaks up.

"How do you feel about working underground?" he asks me.

"Excuse me?" I turn around to face him. "What would I do underground for...for a bar?" I shake my head slightly.

A smirk crawls up his lips and he nods his head toward a set of stairs in a dark hallway that looks like an old alley, both walls made out of brick. I follow him slowly over to the hallway, and if my mother were to be watching me, she'd have a heart attack from how stupid and careless I'm being.

Walking down the steps of the unknown room I'm about to step into, I hold onto the rail with my bag on my other arm. Once we reach the last step, the man steps down and walks away into the dark. All of the lights turn on-LED-lights. The room is covered in a deep blood red and a light green LED shines down over all of the tables that are scattered about.

There is a large stage with two microphones and a drum set with some speakers on each side of the stage. A bar is behind me, against the wall and to my right is a staircase that leads somewhere.

"Upstairs is a bedroom," he says.

He points a finger around the room. "You'll be the bartender. I'm assuming you're twenty one considering you walked into my bar and asked for a job," he laughs quietly. I nod my head yes and walk around to the stage.

"Do people perform down here?" I ask him as I walk slowly, looking at the equipment.

"Yeah," he says from somewhere behind me. "You start tonight."

To that, I whip my head around and my jaw opens slightly. I'm in shock at how fast l was hired.

"I will have to go over my availability-"

"Fuck," he mutters. He turns to face me completely. "Please don't tell me you can only work during the day and only two days a week-"

"No," I smile at him and shake my head. "I was going to say I'm free all the time. I need thai job so badly, and I know most places aren't open or pay a small amount, I'm in a hotel that's about thirty minutes from here on foot, so whatever times you want me to come in, I'll leave early."

"You're in a hotel?"

"Yeah," I look downward to avoid his gaze.

"And you walk? No car?"

"No, I plan to use my first paycheck to get a bus pass-"

"Not necessary," he says. "That room upstairs isn't in use...I can let you sleep in it until you have enough to find somewhere else to go, but I do have rules."

"Oh, no.." I shake my head, "I couldn't let you do that," I say.

"It's not an issue," he smiles kindly before tapping the countertop at the bar. He looks around before meeting my gaze again. "My rules are simple," he goes on. "Be back here if you leave before I close. Only other entrance is the exit and I don't want weirdos hanging around here," he says. "Last rule is that I need this place to be sold out."

"Sold out?" I ask, confused. "It's a bar-"

"An underground bar that sells tickets to see the artists that play here," he finishes for me. "I'm having a single artist tonight. I want to see this place packed. I'll let you use my printer upstairs and you can go around and hang up flyers. People who don't have a barcode don't get in," he says.

"Okay," I take a deep breath in and smile. "Deal." We then shake hands before he shows me to my new room.

The walls are covered in posters and art. Some are of posters of bands. I stand in front of one that catches my eye. Three boys are standing in a line, each of them facing the others back. The one in front is looking over his shoulder into the camera. He wears a ripped black- shirt with a band on it, and black jeans. Black eyeliner covers his waterline and his lips look plumped like he took time to make them red and delicious looking.

"R O L L I N G   R E D," he says from next to me. "You a fan?"

I drop my bag onto the bed to my right. I shake my head. "No, I mean..I don't know, I've been so busy I haven't had time to listen to music and enjoy it," I shrug.

"You're in luck then," he turns to me and smiles. "They are playing here tomorrow night."

"Tomorrow?" I ask even though I just heard what he said.

"Yes. And that's going to be a show that's fucking packed, I'll tell you." He says confidently. "I'm going to get stuff ready for tonight," he says before walking out of the room. I hear him shut the bedroom door behind me. I fall on my back onto the bed and take a deep breath.

___

:)