Chapter 11

The day of the sports festival was drawing closer and everyone was very excited. Everyone had been talking about it for the last month and even the teachers seemed ecstatic. This school was notorious for its students as well as for its special events and people from outside were invited to watch the show. This looked more like an Olympic game than a school's sports festival and I didn't know if I should be amazed by it or terrified by this many people being in one place. For now it was only the staff preparing for the event and it was still a lot so I couldn't imagine what it would be on the day of the festival.

I was looking for a corner to disappear in and Cadmael who was walking beside me immediately noticed it:

"Are you okay?"

I smiled.

"Of course."

Rule number one of parenting was to never show when you were having a hard time to your baby. He wouldn't feel safe and that could be a trauma. Therefore I just smiled but Cadmael didn't seem convinced.

"Did you sign up for any events? Asked Cadmael."

I hesitated a lot about it. I really liked the feeling of competition but I didn't want to have the same problem as in the book. If I didn't want to die I should stay as far away from the plot as possible, at least concerning the Eschyle part. Maybe I shouldn't have signed up but I knew Cadmael really wanted to beat Eschyle during the sparring tournament. I thus decided to sign up for the tournament and to lose at the first match. I had perfect marks so the Duke shouldn't mind me losing. Then I also signed up for horseback riding. I loved horses. Just thinking about it I couldn't wait. I was smiling and really lost in thought. I was so lost that I almost walked into someone. Cadmael caught me by the waist and pulled me against him.

"Look out."

I immediately reddened embarrassed. Why was I so relaxed around him? I was the parent. I should be paying attention to his safety, not the other way round.

"Sorry."

I tried to back away but Cadmael was holding me tightly.

"Cadmael?"

He suddenly realized and let me go.

"You were saying that you signed up for a few events.

-Oh, yes. I signed up for horseback riding in addition to the sparring tournament."

Cadmael seemed very surprised.

"Horseback riding?"

I smiled. I really liked riding in my last life but had a pretty big fall and didn't dare get back on a horse since then. I thought that this would be a good opportunity but still didn't muster the courage to train. I couldn't try for the first time on the day of the festival. I knew that but it was harder to be brave than I thought.

"I really like horses."

Cadmael's eyes started sparkling. Did he like horses too?

"I never saw you horse riding. You didn't even take the classes as a child."

I averted my eyes embarrassed. What could I say? I was a parent and I couldn't talk about my problems openly.

"I really like horses but prefer to read so I never made time.

-I see."

Cadmael didn't ask anymore and once home I fled to our stables. The festival was very close and I couldn't continue hesitating. I really thought that it would be easy with a new body but it wasn't. I just wanted to run and jump on the horse but I froze as soon as I arrived near it. I mustered all my courage and prepared the horse. He was so cute that I relaxed a bit but my hands were still shaking. Come on, it was the fourth time in this life that I made it this far but never managed to get further.