- c h a p t e r - t h i r t y-s e v e n -

edited.

________________________________________________________________________________

July

"Your parents did not have to do this, James."

"Oh be quiet. They love you like a daughter. And anyways–it wasn't just my idea."

"Who brought it up to you, though?"

"Your girl friends."

Violet sighed, "I'm gonna kill them."

"Nah. Just enjoy it–you only turn sixteen once."

Violet linked arms with her brother and murmured, "I guess you're right..."

He leaned over and adjusted a piece of hair on her forehead before smiling, "It'll be perfect."

They entered the front door of Potter Manor, and Violet gasped at the sight of the main lobby that led to the ballroom.

Because–obviously–every Pureblood family needed a ballroom.

The entire room was decorated with greenery and candles. Violet felt like she had stepped into the forests of Neverland. The candles all twinkled like dancing fairies, and she could hear Ella Fitzgerald singing from somewhere.

"There's the birthday girl!" Mrs. Potter exclaimed–her voice tinkling like bells as she hurried up in a dainty red dress.

Violet blushed slightly, "Thanks for the party, Mrs. Potter. You really didn't–"

"There she goes!" Sirius's teasing voice found Violet's ears as he slung an arm around her shoulders–pushing James away as he did. "Being all Violet-like again!"

"Piss off, Black," Marlene appeared in a sequin black number. "You can't corrupt our dear Vi. She's too good for the world."

"That's not what Minnie said when Violet set her favourite shrub on fire."

"That was an accident that I immediately fixed afterward," Violet defended herself.

"And we never saw that shrub again! It was shaped like a dragon!" Sirius cried in faux distress.

Violet pushed him off her and flipped him off subtly before standing on her toes and shouting, "LILY EVANS! WHERE ARE YOU?!"

A hand with a familiar bracelet–one that matched the one Violet had on–shot up near a little enchanted fountain across the room, "OVER HERE!"

Violet grabbed Marlene's hand and saluted to the boys, "See ya later, chums!"

The girls hurried away, giggling madly, before they found Lily, Mary, and Alice by the fountain.

The girls strangled each other in hugs–ending with Alice hanging on Violet, hugging her around the neck from behind.

"How's your holidays been, then?" Violet asked as she hung onto Alice's arm.

"Booorrriinnnggg," Marlene complained dramatically. "Haven't done much."

Violet gave her a look, "I told you to come hang out with me and Lily if you were bored!"

"I couldn't bear hanging out with you any more than I have to!"

Violet scoffed, "You're just as dramatic as Sirius."