Chapter 49: The Fall of a King

Author's Note: This is a flashback chapter. Hence, this chapter will take place solely in Universe-400 and will feature the variants of our heroes in that universe...so please don't get confused when this chapter will call King Rohan "Rohan" and Luigi from Universe-400 "Luigi".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Council Room, Mushroom Kingdom Castle, Mushroom Kingdom, Universe-400 - July 25th, 2023

Rohan, Mario, DK, Toad, Daisy, Luigi, and Peach stood near the throne of the council room and looked as the numerous Toads ran around the room and kept putting in votes. Millions upon millions of Toads were coming to see who between Peach and Rohan would become King or Queen of the Mushroom Kingdom.

"The Toads are goin' crazy," DK said.

"Who do you think's gonna win?" Toad asked.

"I'm rooting for Peach," Mario replied. "But I'll be happy if either of you wins."

Rohan smiled. "Thanks, Mustache. Y'know, it's been really fun having you here for the past two years."

"Same."

Suddenly, the Toads in the room stopped clamoring and Toadsworth walked toward the council table. "Okay, everyone. We're rallying up the votes and now...the council presents the crowns of King Richard and Queen Sophie."

Two guards, holding velvet pillows with crowns, entered the room. The crowns belonged to Peach's parents, Richard and Sophie.

Queen Sophie's crown was a golden and silver tiara with blue jewels that were almost the same color as Peach's brooch.

Richard's crown was completely golden with a small lion-like head and small blue jewels.

Sure, Sophie's crown was beautiful, but Richard's crown was what caught Rohan's eyes and attention

Sure, Sophie's crown was beautiful, but Richard's crown was what caught Rohan's eyes and attention. Toadsworth tapped his cane again and said, "Now, with a total of 1,000,005 votes, the new ruler of the Mushroom Kingdom is..."

"I've got this in the bag..." Rohan thought and closed his eyes. "My lifelong dream's coming true!!"

The table began to form a gigantic hologram. At first, the structure seemed a bit anonymous...but then started to form the bottom of a dress...