Chapter 36

"Oi, Kakashi, you wanted to see me? It's unusual to find you at the meeting place before you." , sounded the voice of Sasuke who had arrived.

Silently, Itachi Uchiha looked at his brother. He hid his eyes behind a large straw hat to hide from other looks. "Sasuke, how big you've grown!" , he thought to himself and was looked at by his partner Kisame.

He was doing well, then. Itachi had almost thought that something had happened to him because of Orochimaru's attack on Konoha. Now he had certainty, which was why he could set out with Kisame to find Naruto. Itachi hadn't even noticed that Sasuke had turned his gaze to the previous abandoned table.

As carefully as the partners had been able, they crept through the alleys of Konoha. They used the dark shadows to hide from the inhabitants. Kisame had been glad that Itachi had known his way around. Otherwise, they would have been caught by the Anbu long ago.

"Can I ask you something?" a voice sounded in the next alley, which was why Itachi had stopped as if paralyzed when a young girl had walked past him. His heart stopped for a moment as the person he was chasing had shown no reaction.

"What does Sasuke like best?" asked Sakura simply, which was why Rina had stopped. "I'm not interested." she popped out, glaring at the Haruno. "You'd better train if you have that much time already."

"But..." began Sakura, almost in despair. "You're weak, Sakura. If you would train instead of running after my brother, you could be a better kunoichi. You couldn't even win against Ino. Not even she is strong enough."

How cold that voice just was. It almost broke Itachi's heart as he listened to his little sister. Had she changed so much because of that night? However, his thoughts drifted away again as he looked at her more closely. Just as he had with Sasuke, Itachi let his eyes linger on her entire body before he came to her face.

"Rina..how beautiful you've become..." And that was true. Not only did Rina look almost like Sasuke. No, she also looked almost like her mother. The woman who had been everything to Itachi.

"Rina, we're a team, remember? As comrades...", Sakura began again. "I don't care about comrades." Rina answered immediately, which shocked Itachi for a moment. What had happened to the cheerful and kind Rina? 

What had come of what he had taught her about comrades? Rina had asked him what was the most important of a shinobi. It was not only strength, but also the comrades around which one had to care.

"The word comrades, is history for me.", Rina still pronounced, before she had turned away from Sakura. So that was how it was. Rina had probably built up a great hatred just like Sasuke, which was directed at him alone.

"Let's go.", Kisame spoke, to which Itachi nodded briefly and would make an exit for both of them.