Chapter 55

"Nii-chan?" came from Rina who was sitting at the dining table across from him. Itachi silently looked at his younger sister, who had been waiting for a reaction from him. However, this remained as always absent, so Rina fluffed her cheeks.

Briefly, her twin, who was sitting next to Itachi, laughed, causing Rina to become even more offended. "Stop laughing!" exclaimed Rina, feeling a hand on her head. "Ask him. You know he always listens to you." smiled Mikoto, her loving mother.

The girl's dark eyes turned to Itachi, who continued to look at her. Only recently she had a conversation with him about the comrades of a shinobi. However, she had never seen him with a comrade herself. Actually since he had been with the Anbi.

"Is Shisui-nii your comrade?" she wanted to know directly, which was why Itachi had been a little irritated. "Why do you ask?" his question came back.

"Because you told me that comrades are important but I never see you with one." Rina said and was also looked at by her father, who had been following the conversation.

"What did you talk about without me?", Sasuke wanted to know offended. "Nah, about comrades!", Rina grinned at her twin and finally looked back to Itachi who had pulled his typical face.

"Shisui is a friend of mine. Of course he is a comrade but that doesn't mean we have to spend much time together." , Itachi replied to her question. "Comrades can come from anywhere. Even from other villages."

"Don't be foolish!" scolded Fugaku in a moment. "You'll be deceived if you think you count everyone as comrades!"

"But..." "No, Rina. True, you'll be on a team one day, and you'll have to think of them as comrades. But let me tell you, not everyone will be on his side! We live in a time when there can be war again, so don't listen to what Itachi tells you. And my advice to you, son, is to not give Rina any other ideas."

Silently, both of the chief's children nodded. Perhaps it had indeed been foolish. And yet, Itachi stood by his opinion. A comrade was one of the most important things of a shinobi. A comrade protected one, treated like a family member. And just such could save one's life.

Itachi Uchiha would never betray a friend, a comrade even if it would look like that to some. And that was exactly what he wanted to teach his little sister, who would be such a comrade for Sasuke.

But there the Uchiha had made himself too many hopes. If he had known what would happen in the future, he would have acted differently.