Chapter 38 : A Sudden Proposal.

Ibrahim traced a finger on her jawline, deliberately aiming to make her uncomfortable. "Just say yes, Ava."

 Ava reluctantly whispered, "Fine, I'll go to your stupid party."

Ibrahim won this time too. He satisfied. Stepping a back with her triumph smile, he told. "See, that wasn't so hard, was it?"

Ibrahim went towards the bed and sat on it. He saw Ava straightened herself against the wall and her eyes shooting daggers at him.

Unable to contain her frustration, mocked him, "Hope you are happy now."

Ibrahim, without missing a beat, replied, "Ecstatic."

Ava clenched her fists in anger. The urge of burning this new room was again popped in her mind. She shook her head and walked towards the door and forcefully slammed it shut, the sound echoing her frustration.

Heading down the stairs, Ava intended to find solace on the rooftop, away from Ibrahim's presence. But she stopped when someone called her name, "Ava." 

Ava turned and saw Aliya busy setting the dinner table with Aziza and Yasmeen, the maids.

Aliya approached Ava, "How are you?"

Ava forced a smile, responding, "I'm good." She couldn't let her inner anger show, especially not to Aliya, who had always shown her care. 

"When did you come?" Aliya inquired. 

Ava replied, "Just half an hour ago."

Aliya suggested, "Let's have dinner; it's getting late."

....

The Rahman family gathered at the dining table – Aliya, Samir, Ibrahim, and Ava. The table was adorned with the finest Malaysian dishes.

"I hope you're enjoying the food, Ava." Aliya told. 

On the other hand, Ava was not eating. She was playing the food with spoon. She only responded Aliya with a nod. 

Not only Aliya noticed Ava's reaction, Samir too. They both glanced each other. It wasn't knew for them to see her reaction. They thought Ava would be used to in Rahman Mansion. But it wasn't. 

"So, Ava, about tomorrow's party," Samir began, "any specific theme you have in mind?"

Ava looked up briefly, her gaze meeting Samir's. She replied with a simple "No."

"I was thinking about a vintage theme. What do you think, Mom?" Samir asked. 

 "Oh, that sounds wonderful! Vintage can be elegant and stylish with sophistication." Aliya responded. 

Samir continued, "And Ava, what about you? Do you like the idea?"

Ava, not looking up from her plate, responded, "Sure."

Ibrahim noticed her lack of interest. He focused on his food. Sometimes he also joined conversation. But Ava hardly say two or three words. He didn't force her though. It will take time but she'll get used to. He looked at Ava's plate. She had not eaten much. She was playing with her food with spoon. She twirled the pieces of chicken in her plate with the spoon from right to left, up to down. Ibrahim shook his head. He really married a kid. 

He prepared a bowl of chicken soup and extended the bowl toward her. Ava stopped playing and looked at him with death glare. She shot him a gaze that could freeze time. Unfazed, Ibrahim avoided eye contact, letting the bowl hover in her direction.

She took it from his hands, her fingers brushing against his momentarily. And Ibrahim smiled slightly. On the other hand, Samir and Aliya were busy in their gossip.