Chapter 49 : "Elara beat me."

The sky was gray, not raining but heavy with clouds. Elara parked his bike in front of the big Rahman Mansion. The gate opened, and he walked on the driveway. The driveway was fancy. 

Ava hadn't answered her phone since last night. He couldn't shake off the sense that something was wrong. How did Ava manage being married to a mafia?And his protective instincts kicked in. He is really worried for her.

When he entered in the mansion, Aziza who was working on the kitchen saw Elara. Recognising him, she greeted him warmly, "You must be Ava ma'am's brother."

Elara nodded, "Could you please let her know I'm here to see her?"

Aziza nodded back, pointing to the dining area. "Sure, sir. Have a seat. I'll let her know."

Elara sat on the couch. And after a while he saw Ibrahim was coming. Ibrahim was casually dressed in a black t-shirt and black pants. His messy hair added a touch of disarray to his otherwise composed appearance.

"Hello, Officer Elara," Ibrahim greeted with a sly grin, hands casually tucked into his pockets.

On the other hand Elara was looking less than thrilled, "Why are you here? I called for Ava."

Ibrahim was unfazed as ever. He sauntered over and took a seat opposite Elara, legs crossed. "Ava's taking a bath. Thought we could chat while we wait."

Elara sighed audibly, "If you weren't Ava's husband, I wouldn't want to see your face."

Ibrahim chuckled, "You should check your eyes, Officer. Missing out on such handsome features. It's not good thing." 

Elara shook his head, dismissing Ibrahim's remark. "Ava hasn't answered my calls since last night. That's why I'm here."

With a smirk, Ibrahim responded, "Ah, we came home late last night. Busy night, you know?"

"Where did you go?" Elara asked.

Ibrahim's smirk deepened, "Ah, the curiosity of a cop. Though I should not tell you. But We went to see the shipment yesterday."

Elara's shock was palpable, his eyes widening. His frustration reached a tipping point, and without a second thought, he slammed his large fist on the table, rattling the decors on the table.

"You brought Ava to see those illegal shipments? Are you out of your mind?" Elara's voice thundered with anger.

Ibrahim raised an eyebrow in mock innocence. "Oh, I asked her if she want to go with me and she agreed."

Elara rose from his seat, striding towards Ibrahim. With a ferocious swing, he aimed a punch at Ibrahim's jaw. The impact was swift, but Ibrahim managed to keep his cool, rubbing his jaw with a smirk playing on his lips.

"Don't beat me, Officer. I just got married, not even a month in, and you're giving me a warm welcome," Ibrahim quipped.

"I don't care if she agreed. You are putting her in danger. She's my sister!" Elara shot back.

 "This is not a joke, Ibrahim. Ava is my sister. What if something happened to her?" Elara was fuming. 

With a casual shrug, Ibrahim teased, "Relax, Officer. Nothing happened. Ava enjoyed herself. She even learned a few things about the 'business.'"

Unable to contain his fury, Elara swung another punch at Ibrahim. "You're unbelievable!"

But Ibrahim dogged the blow with ease, "Well, you see, she's my wife. She needs to know the ropes. And you, Officer, might want to work on your punches."

Elara threw another punch on Ibrahim's stomach, "I'll will kill you Ibrahim Rahman." 

The staffs in the room, previously focused on their meals, were now stealing glances at the unfolding spectacle. Some even exchanged amused whispers. They were really enjoying the scene. 

Elara aimed another kick but this time Ibrahim sidestepped effortlessly, "Maybe you need some self-defense classes, Officer. I can recommend a guy."

Finally Elara stopped beating Ibrahim. If, if Ibrahim was not Ava's husband.... Maybe Ibrahim would get a good beating. But Elara let it slide this time. Though still he couldn't control his anger.

"You're lucky you're Ava's brother. Otherwise, you'd be in serious trouble. Save it for the bad guys." Ibrahim chuckled.

Elara murmured, "I can't even think how did Ava even agree to this nonsense?"

Ibrahim stood up now, "Why don't she agree? I offered her an exclusive look into the glamorous life of a mafia spouse."

"Glamorous? Huh?" Elara shot back. 

"Absolutely, Ava was feeling like she was living living in a James Bond movie."

Elara scoffed, "More like living in a bad action flick."

Amid the chaos of their bickering, Ava, with her wet hair and casual dress, walked into the scene, confusion written all over her face. "What's happening here?" she inquired, her eyes shifting between Elara and Ibrahim. 

"Your brother just gave me a knockout performance." Ibrahim gestured at his aching jaw for emphasis.

Ava furrowed her brows. She couldn't understand anything. 

Elara stepped forward towards her and asked, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder, "Why did you go with him to see the shipment dear?" 

And now Ava got all of that. Ava explained, "I just wanted to see once, understand how they do things."

Elara cautioned her, "It's not safe, dear. Let him handle his business his way." His eyes shifted to Ibrahim, emphasizing his point.

Ava nodded, "Okay, I won't go again."

Elara's smile returned, "Good. I got worried when you didn't pick up your phone last night."

In the midst of their talking, Ibrahim remarked, "How sweetly Elara is talking to Ava now..."

Both Ava and Elara shot him death glares as if they were telling Ibrahim not to interfere in their conversation. Whenever this brother, sister duo got together Ibrahim felt he had no place in this earth. It seemed best to let the siblings sort things out alone. He stood and went to rooms, "Enjoy." 

Ava gestured towards the couch, inviting Elara to sit. Hours passed. They both really talked a lot.

Ava steeped into the room. She felt so happy after talking with Elara. A radiant happiness adorned her features. 

Ibrahim was sitting on his single bed. He was waiting for her. But he didn't thought that Ava and Elara would talk that much. He noticed her movement around the room. She went infront of the mirror. She was combing her lightly damp hair.

"Elara beat me," he remarked again, trying to draw her attention.

Ava also didn't miss any beat. She responded mockingly, "You forcefully married me, so a few beatings from Elara always justifies. I'll support my brother here." 

Ibrahim stood and approached her, "Don't you have any sympathy for your dear husband?" 

Curiosity painted Ava's face as she met his gaze. She questioned, "How should I express such sympathy, my dear mafia husband?"

In response Ibrahim opened the bedside drawer and took out a antiseptic cream. He extended the cream towards Ava, "Apply this."

Ava took the cream from him and scrutinized it, "You want me to be your nurse now?"

"Why not? After all, it's a husband's right to have his wife take care of him." Ibrahim chuckled. She studied his slightly scratched jaw, then started to applying the cream. 

Amidst of it, Ava asked, "Aren't you getting too comfortable with me nowadays?"

Ibrahim didn't respond anything. As Ava continued applying the cream to Ibrahim's jaw, he remained silent. His gaze moved from her face to her lips. There was something about her lips, always appearing so moisturized. It always looked so soft. An inexplicable desire stirred within him, urging to kiss her.