Chapter 106 : Bittersweet moments.

Frustration gnawed at Ava's insides, twisting her stomach into a knot as she ransacked Ibrahim's study. She spun on her heels, her eyes darting across the mahogany shelves, scanning the spines of countless books. One of her crucial elements was missing: her textbook.

Days of university closure had finally ended. And the classes will start from today. 

Professor Siti was a tiger when it came to preparedness, and forgetting a textbook was akin to waving a red flag in front of a charging bull. Ava could already picture the steely glint in Siti's eyes, the pursed lips and the scathing remark about "irresponsible students." No, that image wouldn't stand. Ava needed that book, and she needed it fast.

Ava had retraced her steps a dozen times, scrutinizing every nook and cranny, but the elusive book remained stubbornly out of reach.

A knock on the door startled her. Yasmeen poked her head in. "Ava ma'am. Ibrahim sir is calling you for breakfast."

Ava turned, her brows furrowed. "Tell him I'll be there in a minute," she mumbled, her eyes glued to the bookshelf. "Lost a book, it seems. And there are so many notes scattered around."

"What does it look like, ma'am? I can help you find it." Yasmeen approached Ava.

Ava sighed, picturing the book in her mind's eye. "Grey cover on the front," she said, "and the title….....the title...uh... oh my god, what was it called again?" she paused, "'Sustainable Architecture for the Modern City.'" Ava remembered finally.

Yasmeen embarked on a search that would make Sherlock Holmes proud. She started presenting each grey-covered book with a flourish. "Could this be it?" she'd inquire, holding the book up like a prized discovery. Ava, hopeful yet consistently disappointed, responded with a resounding, "No, dear, it's not."

Underrated, Yasmeen continued to show Ava every book that had even a hint of grey in its cover. She showcased them with exaggerated enthusiasm. But each time, Ava would shake her head and burst into a small laugh.

"Yasmeen, thank you for your efforts, but I'll handle it. You can go." Ava pleaded. The truth was, Yasmeen's well-intentioned but haphazard efforts were doing more to obfuscate than clarify.

Then, a booming voice shattered the study's peaceful chaos. Ibrahim, a storm cloud of suppressed anger, entered bearing a plate piled high with breakfast. "Didn't I tell you to call Ava for breakfast?" he thundered, his gaze piercing Yasmeen like a laser.

Yasmeen stammered, a deer caught in the headlights. "Sir… I… I…"

Ava intervened, "Don't scold Yasmeen, Ibrahim. She was just helping me find a book."

Ibrahim's features remained thunderous. "Helping? No helper does their job correctly in this house," he growled, his gaze flickering to Yasmeen before settling back on Ava. He strode into the study and put a plate laden with food on the mahogany desk. It was Ava's breakfast.

Ava saw Yasmeen shrink under his words, a silent plea in her eyes. With a subtle nod, she encouraged the maid to leave the room. And Yasmeen did.

Ava shook her head and turned to Ibrahim, "You scared her, Ibrahim. Can't you just talk normally?"

Ibrahim stood before her, "They should be scared. Scared of their master. Fear keeps them on their toes."

"Don't know why people enjoy dominating others. People should live freely." Ava muttered. 

Ibrahim, perched on the edge of the desk, smirked. "Some," he drawled, his eyes dancing with a hidden amusement, "are born only to Dominate, baby girl. Only to give rules, only to demand obedience. And some," he paused, his gaze lingering on Ava, "are born to follow, to obey...Now, finish that sandwich."