⏤ 18. second chances

Asteria and Snape weren't surprised to find the hospital room full of people. Harry, Dumbledore, McGonagall, Ginny, Amelia and Hermione were standing in a circle around Ron's bed as Madam Pomfrey ministered to him.

The person they hadn't expected though.. was Professor Slughorn, sitting on a chair off to the side, looking rather stunned.

But then Harry recited the incident: of Ron eating love-potion-laced chocolates, of him receiving an antidote from Slughorn, of him drinking something Slughorn offered and then proceeding to fall to the ground, writhing.

"Quick thinking on your part, Harry." said Dumbledore after a long pause. "Using a Bezoar. You must be very proud of your student, eh, Horace?"

He seemed to snap out of his state slowly. "Hm? Oh, yes.. very proud."

McGonagall sighed then, a bit hurriedly. "I think we all agree that Mr. Potter's actions were heroic. But the question is.. Why were they necessary?"

Dumbledore nodded. "Why indeed." He took the half-empty bottle of mead from Slughorn's hand, which was still bearing a bit of gift wrap.

"This appears to be a gift, Horace. You don't by chance remember who gave you this bottle, do you— which by the way—" He took a sniff, "— possesses remarkably subtle hints of licorice and cherry, when not polluted with poison."

"Actually I had intended to give it as a gift myself."

"To whom might I ask?"

"You, Headmaster." Slughorn looked up at him.

Silence prevailed for a moment, but was broken when the door of the hospital wing burst open. Loud, rushed footsteps approached them.

"Where is he? Where's my Won-Won?!"

Hermione, who'd been standing beside Ria, gripped her hand.

"Has he been asking for me?" Lavender looked around at all their faces, but when her eyes fell on Hermione, they began glaring daggers.

"What's she doing here?" She asked, exasperated.

Hermione reluctantly let go of Ria's hand, stepping forward. "I might ask you the same."

"I happen to be his girlfriend." She answered arrogantly.

"Oh for fuck's sake, are we really doing this now?" Ria heard Amelia whisper under her breath.

"I happen to be his.." Hermione hesitated, glaring her up and down. "Friend."

Lavender scoffed. "Don't make me laugh. You haven't spoken in weeks. I suppose you want to make up with him now that he's suddenly all interesting."

Hermione squinted with disbelief, her mouth falling open. "Interesting? He's been poisoned, you daft dimbo! And for the record, I've always found him interesting."