⏤ 10. an azrael's lament

"You were.. there?"

Asteria stared at the Sorting Hat sitting on the shelf; it nodded.

"Yes."

And for the first time, the poised, pointed hat appeared to be heaving down with some kind of sorrow.. like the dust seeped deep into its fabric was resurfacing in the form of a painful memory.

Without even meaning to, she moved some steps closer, as if it had some gravity pulling her in.

"A millennial ago..
as lores would say,
There lived four wizards of renown,
Whose names are still well known:
"

It wasn't the merry, obnoxious tone the Sorting Hat always sang in, but a low, mournful one.

"Bold Gryffindor, a wandless wonder,
Fair Ravenclaw, seer of destinies,
Sweet Hufflepuff, magnesque healer,
Shrewd Slytherin, conqueror of minds.
"

Ria looked at Dumbledore. "They were all gifted. We were never told that." she realised.

He nodded. "It was destiny that they met.. All of them extraordinary, meant for the extraordinary."

"They shared a wish, a hope, a dream,
They hatched a daring plan
To educate young sorcerers
Thus Hogwarts School began
."

"If it pains you too much.." The headmaster said to the Sorting Hat. "Just proceed with the tale."

The Sorting Hat sighed, drooping lower. "I apologise. You ask me to recite the tale once, and I act as though it is the end of the world."

"I understand." Dumbledore nodded. "You should not have to make a song out of a tragedy."

Tragedy. Ria thought. Of course.

The hat began again. "A millennial ago.. when times were dark. When blood was shed across lands, of innocent wizards and witches pursuing magic. The wise Seer Rowena came to realise that there was no way better than to build a castle to protect all those who could not themselves."

"She had a dream once.. a vision. Where a warty hog led her to a cliff by a lake." reminisced the Hat. "Although she was burdened with the knowledge that she could not do it alone, that she had to wait, she continued journey across lands till she met the rest of those who she was fated to be with."

"The rest of the founders.." Ria muttered.

"Not just them, no." The Hat quipped. "There was another one fated to be with them. One younger than them.."

"They saved him from the witch hunters.. snatched him away from the hands of Death itself, with such brilliance that even Death was impressed."

"His name was Ackerman. Azrael Ackerman."

Ria gulped. "The portrait in the Room of Artefacts."

"It is kept in his memory.. only dedicated to all his early years that he sacrificed to strengthen the school for its purpose." Dumbledore answered.