⏤ 30. a pitch black storm

"Mum—"

"Avada Kedavra!"

Time was suddenly moving too slowly. At least for Asteria, it was.

If only she could think of a hundred possibilities at that time, but she couldn't. Her eyes only watched blankly as the green ball filled with fury flew right past her and hit her mother in the chest.

And if that wasn't enough, her body fell backwards, arching into the smoke veil and slowly turning into nothingness.

Ria lurched forward, her frame shaking. If only she could reach her in time.. hold her hand and pull her back from that devious arch. Yes, I could reach her.

Her lips broke out into a small smile. She could save her. She knew it.

Although an arm around her stripped her away of her happiness. "No.. No, let me.." she mumbled with her hand reaching out towards Isabella, struggling to move forward.

Tears blurred her vision. She was slipping away. "No, let me go— Let me— NO!"

The battle had stopped; all eyes on the veil at the centre of the room.

"Ray..?" Harry's lips were trembling, his eyes not leaving the spot where she stood just moments ago. "Sirius.. where is.. where did she go?"

He took a step to walk there, but his godfather grabbed him by his arm. He looked at him, and found streams of tears running down his face.

"Harry.. she's.."

"Sirius, why are you..? Stop it. Stop crying. We— gotta— we gotta go look for her—"

He stopped him from going any further as his own stomach churned horribly. His own throat was choking on a lump of regret. But he had to..

He had to keep himself together for their sake.

Harry kept wanting to rush to Isabella, and while Sirius tried to keep him in place, his own mind felt blank and shattered. His vision was blurring.

"It will be different this time.. We'll make sure of it." His promise with Remus echoed in the back of her mind.

..four children, swearing to protect the fifth one from everything that would try to take her away from them.

They had broken their promise.

He gave a small sniffle and held Harry tightly as he struggled even more.

The Azrael's curse had won. Isabella had lost.

They had failed her.

Someone was chuckling far away from them. Carrow could hardly believe themselves as they watched the scene unfold in front of them.