⏤ 13. the new bond

"Cassie!" The kitten ran towards her owner with her stubby little legs.

Ria grinned when she saw her and lifted her in her arms, kissing her nose. "See? She's starting to understand that her name's Cassie. Aren't you, cutie?" She cooed at her.

Isabella smiled at them from the couch. She then looked at Jude, who was perched on her shoulder. He seemed to be glaring at the cat.

"Oi!" She quietly called out to him. "We aren't replacing you, you know?"

Cassie ran towards Isabella now, and she settled her on her lap. Jude moved closer to Isabella, cuddling himself close to her jaw while glaring at the cat.

"Mum, I promise, I'll take care of her!" Ria pitched in again. "Please, please, please let me take her with me?"

"And what about Jude?"

"He can stay with you, yeah?"

The tiny owl screeched at her question. Even he didn't know if he was offended at the suggestion or happy that he would get to stay with Isabella.

"We'll think about it, Ria." Said her mother, making her pout.

"Alright.." she said. "Well, you know what I was thinking?"

"Uh-huh?"

"I really wanna meet Harry. Can I go see him?"

Isabella's eyes widened at this suggestion. "No!"

Asteria flinched at her snappy response.

"I— I mean, you can." She explained, a bit more calmly. "But you're not going alone. I'm coming with you."

"Oh.. okay."

The telephone started ringing, and Isabella handed the kitten to her daughter to get up and answer it. "Hello?.. Yes, it is. Oh.. Vernon!" She said, a bit surprised. Ria raised her eyebrows. 

Speak of the devil..

She watched as her mother's face changed from confusion to amusement.

"He.." she had to refrain herself from laughing. "He did what?" She asked again. "Oh, no, no! Of course, I don't find it funny.." she pursed her lips.

Ria shook her head in disbelief as unintelligible noise kept coming from the other end of the telephone. She couldn't hear what he was babbling about, but her mother's face told her it was, indeed, something funny.

"Vernon! Vernon— I understand! But he's a child. Children make mistakes. Accidents happen. Calm down—" she stopped again as he said something. "Don't worry about your Marge— the Ministry of Magic will take care of her—"

Isabella pulled away from the phone just for a moment. "Harry blew up his aunt." She told her daughter. "She inflated like— like a balloon."

Ria slapped her hand to her mouth. Her mother looked like she was about to die from wheezing. And her face made Ria snort in laughter too, but Isabella shushed her down.