⏤ 13. thirteen reasons why

Ria felt painfully anxious for the rest of the weekend.

There was more than one aspect responsible for this, although some of the anxiety was also brought by the constant bad feeling she got.

One: the dream in the hog's head. It was the weirdest shit Ria had ever experienced, and that was coming from a Seer. She was firm that it was the Carrow child that made her see that.. But why? Just to mess with her?

Two: her magic classes weren't going on well, if you couldn't guess. Yes, she managed to levitate things now, but that was not enough. She couldn't do spells yet. She also needed to work harder at Transfiguration if she wanted to be overall good at handling Enchantress powers.

She needed to be stronger; she needed to know more about Enchantress magic and dig deeper to actually understand and embrace it.

And it pained her to even think about it, but it made sense for her mother to teach her, rather than Minnie. True, Minerva had been the one to teach Isabella, but perhaps, for Ria, this method of teaching wasn't right.

Three: their recent 'study group'. Even though everyone had been cautious enough, she couldn't help but wonder the consequences of them getting caught. She couldn't imagine the horrors they'd have to go through if Umbridge does find out.

But that didn't stop her from scooping up books from the library and from Severus's shelves; in case she found some new, useful spells.

One good thing that had come from visiting Severus was that he had warned her about the drinks Umbridge offered in her office. And that had been enough for her to figure out why there suddenly had been a shortage of Veritaserum stock in the Potions' cabinet.

Ria had been sitting in front of Minerva's table around seven that morning, relaxed, while her hand controlled the floating books in the air. Her magic had no golden glow effect around the books like her mother, but she didn't mind. It was good for camouflage.

"Minnie.." Ria called out, "how long till we can finally talk about mind manipulation?"

"There's still a long way to go.. dear." said Minerva, not looking up from some papers. She was proud of the progress Ria had made, even though it was small.

"How long did it take for Mum?" asked Ria, even though knowing well McGonagall didn't like her comparing herself to her mother. "It's just a question. Don't get mad."

"She never felt the need to learn mind manipulation." McGonagall justified, finally looking at Asteria. "Because she never knew she was going to take part in a war."

"And when she did.. when she was finally ready to explore mind manipulation..."

"Those powers got taken away.. Right." Ria nodded.

"But I can assure you, Asteria," said Minerva, "when the time comes.. I believe you will be prepared."

Ria flashed her a small smile. "Thank you, Minnie, for helping me so much."