⏤ 06. the sorting hat's warning

"Did everyone see that Grubbly-Plank woman?" asked Ginny as they all walked the ablaze entrance hall of the castle. "What's she doing back here? Hagrid can't have left, can he?"

"I'll be quite glad if he has," said Luna. "He isn't a very good teacher, is he?"

"Yes, he is!" said Harry, Asteria, Ron, and Ginny angrily. 

Harry glared at Hermione; she cleared her throat and quickly said, "Erm.. yes.. he's very good."

"Well, we think he's a bit of a joke in Ravenclaw," said Luna, unfazed.

"You've got a rubbish sense of humour then," Ron snapped as the group entered the Great Hall.

Luna did not seem fazed or offended by Ron's rudeness; on the contrary, she simply watched him for a while as though he were a mildly interesting television program before leaving to join the Ravenclaw table. Ron made a face behind her.

"Anyway.. Let's go." Hermione said, shaking her head as she continued walking to their Gryffindor table. Ginny had now been hailed away into the group of her fellow fourth years. Harry and Ron followed the two, but then Harry turned around in question.

Ria was still at the door, deep in thought as she kept looking at the Slytherin table. She could just make out Blaise and Theo sitting in their usual seats, with Malfoy's group some seats away from them. The two were looking around the Hall to spot their best friend.

'Now the question is.. Would they believe you?' the voice in her head taunted.

Her eyes softened... Would they?

Harry walked back towards her. "What is it?"

Ria snapped back to reality and shook her head hesitantly. "Nothing." She answered.

There would definitely be some tension between Theo and his father. He was there in the graveyard. And Blaise.. her mother would want him to stay away from me. She probably doesn't want to be dragged into any trouble. And Sophie?

Her eyes moved towards the Hufflepuff table, and she saw the curly-haired girl already looking at her. She released what seemed to be a sigh of relief, softly smiling and waving at her. Ria gave her something that she could call an attempt at a smile.

I can't drag her into trouble.. She wasn't even a part of any of it to begin with..

"Hey.. if you want.." Harry started, taking her attention. "You can sit with us at the Gryffindor table." He suggested.

When Ria didn't answer, he just simply took her hand, and when she didn't deny, he walked her with him.

Like every year, the Great Hall was lit with floating candles, making the ghosts' silvery body shimmer under them. The enchanted ceiling was dark and clean, with no hint of stars or moon in it. Again Harry noticed people putting their heads together to whisper as the two passed; he gritted his teeth and tried to act as though he neither noticed nor cared.