⏤ 21. shattered

(tw: self-harm)

Asteria Edwards couldn't breathe.

As if her lungs bearing all those shaky breaths, her eyes holding all those tears over the years wasn't enough. As if her skin burning alive with all the wrath she always suppressed wasn't enough. The universe just had to give her something more to mourn about..

Of course, she had heard it just now. Her life was supposed to be cursed.. full of misery..

For the first time, her mind had been completely blank. Silent. Deprived of all the voices that taunted her every day.

And for the first time, she had realised that she would rather have chaos filling every inch of her, than a soundless void that made her choke on her own emptiness. She didn't want that void, it troubled her.

How could something so supposedly vacant cause such unbearable pain?

She went the way her legs carried her without another thought. And Isabella Diggory's world collapsed right in front of her eyes, again.

"No.. No, Ria. Honey.." She begged, following her, but Ria's pace increased with every call of her name. "Ria, please— you— you have to hear me out—"

Not her.. please, not my Ria.

"I will explain everything, I promise!" She pleaded as fresh tears raced down her face. "I won't ever hide anything from you, please, just listen to me—" Her tired, red eyes widened when her daughter slammed the door close behind her.

"No— No! Sweetie, please talk to me.. Just give me one chance to explain.. I'm— I'm sorry!" Isabella fumbled hard with the doorknob, banging on the door while her heart felt like it was about to burst out of her chest.

She couldn't lose her again.

She was trying every unlocking charm she could remember. But none worked. It wouldn't.. She realised. Ria didn't want to see her.

Behind the door, Ria was pacing back and forth in her room. Her entire body was shaking; her mangled emotions were making the things around her tremble against the ground. And although she would give her everything to calm herself any other time, was it really going to work, today?

'What a shame.. Asteria Edwards..'  said the voice in her head, disappointed. 'You were graced with such gifts, and yet.. such a pathetic case you turned out to be..'

Ria closed her ears shut with her hands, hoping that the voice would leave her head. The ache in her body felt like it was seeping down to her bones. She cried for mercy, feeling as though she was literally being split apart.