⏤ 29. let the games begin

TRIWIZARD TOURNAMENT

The delegations from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang will be arriving at 6 o'clock on Friday the 30th of October. Lessons will end half an hour early.
Students will return their bags and books to their dormitories and assemble in front of the castle to greet our guests before the Welcoming Feast.

That was the sign on the notice-board that had every student's attention. Days before the 30th, the castle was being cleaned like never before. The suit armours were gleaming shiny and moving without any squeak. All the portraits were rubbed clean to an extent that their subjects had started complaining.

When the students went down to breakfast on the morning of the 30th of October, they found that the Great Hall had been decorated overnight. Enormous silk banners hung from the walls, each of them representing a Hogwarts House: red with a gold lion for Gryffindor, blue with a bronze eagle for Ravenclaw, yellow with a black badger for Hufflepuff, and green with a silver serpent for Slytherin. Behind the teachers' table, the largest banner of all bore the Hogwarts coat of arms: lion, eagle, badger, and snake united around a large letter H.

Harry, Ron, Hermione were sitting beside Fred and George; who were talking in low voices like never before. The three often glanced at the two in confusion.

"It's a bummer, all right," George was saying gloomily to Fred. "But if he won't talk to us in person, we'll have to send him the letter after all. Or we'll stuff it into his hand. He can't avoid us forever."

"Who's avoiding you?" Ron finally asked.

"Wish you would," Fred shot back, making Ron scowl.

"That wasn't very nice, Forge. He's your little brother." Amelia sat down beside him, making the two's mood lift up a little. Sophie and Ria sat with them too. Harry smiled at her sight.

Sophie wasn't too close with any Gryffindors particularly. But she was good friends with Hermione because of them encountering each other many times in the library.

"You don't say 'Melia, you loathe your sister." George retorted.

"Step-sister." She corrected irritably, "And that's not even the reason to hate her.. We don't agree in terms of each other's views." She justified.

"Anyways.. What's a bummer?" Ron asked George this time.

"Having a nosy git like you for a brother." He answered, making Amelia smack them on the back of their heads, much to Ron's pleasure.

"You got any ideas on the Triwizard Tournament yet?" asked Harry. "Thought any more about trying to enter?"

"I asked McGonagall how the champions are chosen but she wasn't telling," said George bitterly. "She just told me to shut up and get on with transfiguring my raccoon."