⏤ 03. birthday gift

During all the chaos that had erupted because of moving through a literal timeline, Asteria had almost forgotten how close her mother's birthday had been. The 24th of December.

It was weird how both of their birthdays lined up with some festival or special days. Isabella's with Christmas Eve, and Ria's with Valentine's. People said it was some special bond they had, which was the most stupid thing she had ever heard.

But yeah, it was Isabella's birthday! And Ria loved to surprise her.

So when she asked her to apparate the two to a certain address, Isabella Diggory had no idea where her daughter had brought her.

"Wow.. What is this, a cafe or something?" Isabella asked, looking at the cottage. "Oh wait, Minnie told you this address, didn't she? Is this her house?" She asked, her tone laced with a hint of excitement.

"Yeah. Something like that." Ria mumbled, and started walking towards the house. But as they neared the house, they could smell a certain scent.. A rather familiar one. Ria's mind tensed.

I'm doing the right thing, right? She asked the voice in her head. But it didn't answer.

It hadn't spoken since she had come here, but then again.. it had only been some days.

Her mother often mentioned how her father's; William Diggory's love for baking had been passed on to his two children. And the smell that surrounded the house was the same that surrounded her mother's kitchen. Ria hoped that she hadn't picked on the hint just yet.

Because if there was one thing she knew about her mother, it was that she hated confrontation.

"Oh Merlin.." Her mother's nervous chuckle broke her train of thoughts. "Looks like my senses are just going mad. You don't find that smell familiar, do you?" She asked.

Asteria gave her a hesitant smile, before looking into her bag as a way to avoid the question.

Isabella's smile slightly disappeared. "Do you?"

Ria anxiously looked at her mother. "Do you think they'll like blueberry muffins?"

Isabella stopped walking. "Oh, no no no. No. No. This was a bad idea.. For Godric's sake, Ria!"

"Hey, hey! Mum. It's gonna be fine." Asteria said, preventing her from walking away. "He'll understand. He's your brother."

"Yeah.. Yeah, he'll understand. He's my brother." She repeated those words. Her nervous expressions didn't change, but then her eyes widened in realisation. "No, jeez, no! He'll not! Let's just— Let's just go back, please."

"No, no, we can't!" Ria exclaimed, letting go of her arm. "It's your birthday, it's Christmas Eve and you're going to spend it with your family." She said as she walked towards the door and knocked on it gently.