⏤ 08. a new chant

"Well?" said Professor McGonagall, rounding on Harry, who just stood in front of her in her office, knowing none of this was his fault. "Is this true?" she asked, clutching Professor Umbridge's note in her fist.

"Is what true?" asked Harry, rather more aggressively than he had intended. "Professor?" he added in an attempt to sound more polite.

McGonagall opened her mouth to speak, but Asteria had barged in through the door. She marched up to the chair in front of her and took a seat. Ria then leaned across the table and reached out for the jar of biscuits.

The two just watched in question as she took three biscuits out, and started passive-aggressively munching on them.

"Er— Professor?" A voice from the doorway took her and Harry's attention. "Professor Umbridge sent this.." muttered Hermione, worriedly sparing a look at Ria before looking back at the teacher.

"Thank you, Miss. Granger." Minerva waved her wand, and the note in Hermione's hand floated towards her.

Once the three were left alone, she opened the note and read it thoroughly. When she folded it back, there was an unreadable expression etched upon her face. McGonagall spared a look at Ria, who was looking down at her feet with her jaw clenched.

Harry was stealing glances at her, a little guilty that he had brought up Cedric's death in such an unruly manner.

"Let's get this over with, shall we?" asked Minerva, placing both the notes aside and leaning down slightly on the table. The two nodded.

"Is it true that you shouted at Professor Umbridge?"

"Yes," the two responded.

"You called her a liar?"

"Yes."

"You threw profanities at her?"

"No?" Harry said, while Ria clarified her case with a muffled "Yes."

"You told her He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is back?"

"Yes." they answered in unison.

Professor McGonagall sat down behind her desk, frowning at the two. Then she said, "Have a biscuit, Potter."

"Have— what?"

"Have a biscuit," she repeated impatiently, gesturing towards the jar of biscuits on the table. "And sit down."

He sank into a chair opposite her, next to Ria and helped himself to a biscuit, feeling confused and wrong-footed.

Minerva gave the two a very serious look. "Harry, Asteria, you need to be careful."

Harry swallowed his mouthful of biscuit and stared at her. Her tone of voice was not at all what he was used to. He had expected it to be stern, a bit angry, but it sounded more low, sympathetic, and anxious. She was even using his first name.