⏤ 08. the seer's curse

Amelia slipped inside as soon as the portrait opened, a loud call leaving her mouth soon after: "Asteria Margaret Edwards, get your arse ready for th—"

She halted, in shock. Ria was sitting in front of her desk, dressed in dark denim pants and a lilac satin top, scribbling something onto a piece of paper. Though that wasn't the shocking part, really.

She was dressed.

She looked up at her, as if she had expected the reaction. "It's Marlene, 'Melia, not Margaret."

But Amelia knew that, obviously. "Why are you all ready like that?" She asked, shifting her balance from one foot onto another. "You've even put makeup on, hell, you even have your heels on!"

She had come a bit early (not early) with the mindset and the readiness that she had to drag Ria out of bed and take her to the party. "I thought you were sleeping!"

"I was sleeping." Ria shook her head with a sigh, closing her bottle of ink and keeping all her work aside. "I ask you again. What part of 'I'm coming to the party' did you not understand? You look lovely, by the way."

Amelia's face immediately broke out into a smile. "Thank you!" She was in lighter denim pants and a black satin top. In fact, she had asked Ria to match with her right after they were done with their classes of the day.

She then looked around the room, pursing her lips. "It really does feel empty without her, doesn't it?"

Ria had a ghost of a smile on her face, feeling like the girl had literally read her mind. "Yeah."

"I miss her too much." said Amelia, walking up and sitting on the armchair that Sophie would usually be curled up on. "I wrote to her. Told her how mad I was that she left without meeting."

She looked up curiously. "Yeah? What did she say?"

She shrugged. "It hasn't been that long yet. I figure it'll take some while.. her reply."

Ria nodded, hand caressing over her own wrist that now felt too empty without Cedric's bracelet or Harry's ring.

She had taken off the chain with his ring for the night. And Cedric's bracelet she had taken off a long time ago.. fearing that she might accidentally break it while experimenting with her Obscurus.

Though she felt empty without them, just like she did without the onyx pendant that Carrow had stolen.

"Anyway.. what were you writing?" She asked, and by the way she was snuggled up with a cushion, Ria figured they had some time before they left.

She looked back at the parchment before shrugging. "We brewed the Draught of Living Death today. The recipe in Advanced Potion Making didn't work.. so I'm writing down what worked better."

A small chuckle left Amelia's lips. "Merlin, Ria, you really write those down?"

She shrugged. "Yeah. I've been doing that since forever. And with everything really. I don't like to forget important things."