⏤ 24. the beetle and the centaur

Harry and Ria entered the Three Broomsticks running through the showers. They brushed the water off themselves, while their eyes wandered around, looking for Hermione. She had asked them to meet her here.

"Butterbeer?" asked Harry, and Ria nodded in response. Though his eyes caught something strange. "Hey.. look, there's Hagrid." He nudged her, tilting his head in his direction. The half-giant had been sitting alone in the corner, looking gloomy.

They quickly paid for their butterbeers and made their way towards his table. "Hi, Hagrid." They pulled two more chairs around the table to sit with him.

Hagrid jumped and looked down at the two as though he barely recognised him. Harry and Ria exchanged silent glances, seemingly noticing the fresh bruises and cuts on his face.

"Oh, it's you, Harry, Ria" said Hagrid. "You all righ'?"

"Yeah, we're fine," she said. "Er— are you okay?"

"Me?" He asked. "Oh yeah, I'm grand.. grand.."

He gazed into the depths of his pewter tankard, which was the size of a large bucket, and sighed. They sat together in silence for a moment. Then Hagrid said abruptly, "In the same boat, you an' me, aren' we, Harry?"

"Er—" said Harry.

"Yeah.. I've said it before.. Both outsiders, like," said Hagrid, nodding wisely. "An' both orphans. Yeah.. both orphans."

He took a great swig from his tankard. "Makes a diff'rence, havin' a decent family," he said. "Me dad was decent. An' your mum an' dad were decent. If they'd lived, life woulda bin diff'rent, eh?"

"Yeah.. I suppose," said Harry cautiously. Hagrid seemed to be in a very strange mood.

"Family," he gloomed. "Whatever yeh say, blood's important.." And he wiped a trickle of it out of his eye.

"Hagrid," said Harry, unable to stop himself, "where are you getting all these injuries?"

"Eh?" said Hagrid, looking startled. "Wha' injuries?"

"All those!" said Harry, pointing at Hagrid's face.

"Oh.. tha's jus' normal bumps an' bruises, Harry," He answered dismissively. "I got a rough job." He drained his tankard, set it back upon the table, and got to his feet.

"I'll be seein' yeh, Harry.. Ria. Take care now.." And he lumbered out of the pub looking wretched and then disappeared into the torrential rain.

Asteria slowly took his eyes off him and looked at the Gryffindor boy beside her. "What on earth happened to him?"

"He won't even tell." Harry scoffed lowly. "I'm worried for him."

Hagrid was unhappy, and he was hiding something, but he seemed determined not to accept help. What was going on?