⏤ 00. the story of an angel

"I will make sure she is prepared for you."

The woman opened her eyes with a small gasp. Her piercing blue eyes watered the slightest as all the memories rushed past them.

She looked around the still room; she was still here.. alive.

Her fury was long gone.. her senses had come back.. but the nightmares never stopped. 

The haunting memories of her past.. the visions of her terrible, terrible future..
they never died down.

With a small sigh, she dabbed the corner of her eyes to get rid of the tears.

It was almost time..

Suddenly, a warm glow decorated the dull room, and she turned around to look at the child. She strode towards the child, who looked up at her, proud of itself.

"What have you made here, honey?" She asked fondly as she crouched down.

Excited, the child got up from the floor to show the woman what it had made. The woman smiled, looking at the glowing golden circle etched on the ground. The runes in it glowed even brighter.

But in a quick moment, it all faded away. The child frowned, the ecstasy in its eyes dimming down just like the golden magic on the floor.

"You got to have someone stay in the circle, if you want it to stay glowing brightly, hun.." She answered softly. "But you did so well."

The child smiled, and the woman did too. The six-year-old was quite a smart and quick learner for its age.

"Can I do it again, Kathy?" The child asked, eyes twinkling with curiosity.

"You want to do it again?" Kathy asked, and the child nodded enthusiastically. But then, she began looking down at her nails. "But I thought.. you'd want to hear a story.."

The child let out a delighted 'yes', and the joy on her face made Kathy's soulless room full of life again. The little one's eyes, which appeared to be piercing grey in the dull room, twinkled like the stars under the subtle moonlight that peeked through the small hole in the ceiling.