⏤ 16. the lion and the serpent

Hey, Dad..

Wow, I really don't have one ounce of self-respect, do I? Fine, let's get straight to the point.

It's almost been a year.. Why are you doing this to me? If you don't want to keep any contact, just say so.. I'll stop writing to you. Don't build my hopes up, please!

I just wanted to know where it went wrong.

I've been trying so hard to make up for whatever it is..

Just tell me why.. and I'll leave you alone.
Asteria
.

After another successful meeting in a long while, Harry pulled out the Marauder's Map again and checked it carefully for signs of teachers on the seventh floor, just like he always did on previous meetings.

The recent meetings had got harder to organise as the first Quidditch match of the season, Gryffindor versus Slytherin, had drawn nearer. They were put on hold because of Asteria and Angelina insisting on almost daily practices. And one could see the rivalrous tension they held while practising defence.

The fact that the Quidditch Cup had not been held for a year added considerably to the interest and excitement surrounding the forthcoming game.

The Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs were taking a lively interest in the outcome, for they, of course, would be playing both teams over the coming year; and the Heads of House of the competing teams, though they attempted to disguise it under a decent pretence of sportsmanship, were determined to see their side's victory.

Harry and Ria had never seen Professor McGonagall so conflicted before. There was no doubt that she wanted Gryffindor to win, but she also didn't want to see Ria lose her first match as a Captain.

He let the students leave in threes and fours, watching their tiny dots anxiously to see that they returned safely to their dormitories.

"No, no! But seriously, where'd you get that bloody brain of yours?" said Ron, when he, Hermione, Harry and Ria had left the room.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "I've already explained, Ronald. There's no secret." She replied unenthusiastically, as they watched the door melt back into stone behind them. "You've asked me that many times now.."

"Only once," said Ron, then he turned towards Harry and Ria. "By the way, did you see me outsmart Hermione while using that jinx?"

Harry was almost grateful that Ron had forgotten for a moment about the fact that the first match was merely hours away. The boy's anxiety about the match had been heightening day by day.

"You did what now?" Hermione chuckled in disbelief. "Oh, yeah, if you mean that one time when you tripped over your own feet and accidentally aimed your wand at me, then.."