⏤ 26. purveyors of mischief

— BY ORDER OF —
THE MINISTRY OF MAGIC

Dolores Jane Umbridge (High Inquisitor) has replaced
Albus Dumbledore as Head of Hogwarts School of
Witchcraft and Wizardry.
The above is in accordance with
Educational Decree Number Twenty-eight.

Signed:
Cornelius Oswald Fudge
MINISTER OF MAGIC

The notices had gone up all over the school overnight, but they did not explain how every single person within the castle seemed to know that Dumbledore had overcome two Aurors, the High Inquisitor, the Minister of Magic, and his Junior Assistant to escape.

"Oi.. for how long are you going to stare at that notice?" Theodore poked her cheek, but she just blankly blinked.

"Until this notice disappears into nothingness, I guess?" She muttered under her breath. "God, when I said I hated Dumbledore, I didn't mean for this to happen." She scoffed.

"Oh, come on. He'll be back." Sophie tried to console her. "He's Dumbledore."

"Yeah.. he's Dumbledore." She muttered under her breath. "Which is a trouble in itself, I'm afraid."

"But he did save you.. can't argue with that." Amelia walked into their group, staring up at the notice too.

They had been standing in the corridor waiting for their turn, since Umbridge had started questioning the students. Not all students though, only those whose names were in Dumbledore's Army. Filch was fetching them for her, one by one.

"You, out of all people, would in deep shit if you got caught conspiring against the Ministry because—"

"Because, I'm an Azrael. Yeah, I know." Ria snapped. "Don't need to remind me again and again." She scoffed. "Bullshit, man.. Why did the original Azrael have to be such a dick?"

Blaise strolled amongst them. "Hello, lads."

They all looked back at him. "How did it go?" asked Sophie.

He couldn't help but sigh in defeat. "I couldn't.. I told her everything."

Theodore's eyebrows furrowed in fury. "What the actual fuck do you mean? Did you drink the tea she gave you or not?"

"Of course, I did! And I told her.. how we're tied to Asteria Edwards by fear.." He shook his head. "How scared we are.. and we only stay in her company because we're terrified of what she'd do to us. Like— of course, she hasn't given us any demonstration of her powers yet but—"

"Zabini, speak clearly." Ria threatened, her eyes wide.

Then, a small smile dawned on his lips. "I created a sob story. She got all sympathetic, saying she could help me.. but I'll need to maintain my connection to Ria and help her out with information." He winked.