⏤ 16. a seer's vision

Harry looked back at Ria since she wasn't picking anymore flowers from his hand, but it earned him a smack.

"Don't move, Potter!" She scolded, collecting the daisies that had fallen off. "Your hair's not long and wavy enough. They were falling already."

"Sorry." He said sheepishly.

They were sitting in front of the Black Lake on a fine Sunday, just like they had planned, with a bunch of sandwiches. And Ria was decorating Harry's hair with tiny daisies.

Yes, it was a picnic.

Sort of..

"What did you call me here for, Harry?" She asked quietly.

He glanced back at her with a small smile. "I told you, it's a date."

"Yeah.. it's a date, at six thirty in the morning." She smacked his head, making most of the daisies fall off again.

"Well.." he spun in his place to face her, hands tucked between his legs as he felt indecisive if he should tell her or not.

Ria was quick to read and recognise his expression. "Harry." Her tone was demanding.

He sighed. "I needed your opinion on something." She nodded. "I thought you'd be helpful, since you have a really good intuition."

"What makes you say that?" She gave a small chuckle.

"You remember that day, when the chamber of secrets was opened?" He asked, and she nodded in response. "I sure heard something, that's why I was there. But you were there at the same time as us.. that's why."

Ria took a deep breath, nodding. "What did you want to talk about?"

That wasn't really intuition, but she wanted to hear him out.

"It's— uh— it's about the Grim." answered Harry.

"The Grim?" She repeated. "Harry, you don't have to worry about it, really. Reading tea leaves is one the least reliable methods of prediction. That's why—"

"It's not just the prediction that I'm worried about, Ria." He answered. "I've seen it more than once."

"I saw a big black dog the day I was leaving my— the Dursleys' house.. around Magnolia Crescent." He hesitated. "Then I saw it on the cover of 'Death Omens' in Flourish and Blotts. I didn't just see it, you know.. it might sound weird, but it was almost like it was calling for my attention."

He then suddenly shook his head, leaning away from her. "Nevermind. It sounds stupid. Just forget it—"

"Hey!" She said, holding his hands and stroking her thumb over his knuckles. It felt strangely soothing to him.

Strangely.. maybe because he hadn't ever experienced warmth like hers before.

"You know what my Mum said to me? Even before I found out that I was a witch?" She asked. "She told me to never take my intuition for granted, no matter what. Better safe than sorry, right?"