⏤ 05. silver lining

It had been weeks since Theodore Nott had showed up in front of the Diggorys house. It was decided that he would be staying with them, and Dumbledore had been informed that day itself, that there would be another name added to the list of wizards who could enter the area.

Sirius had almost protested, but maybe the familiarity of the incident had made him hold his tongue.

Surprisingly, he had also been the person to buy Theo a bunch of new clothes.. and tell Kreacher to go to the Hogwarts kitchen, look for Vinsy, and ask her to bring Theodore whatever he would need for his school year for one last time.

She had done so with tears of joy in her eyes.

Amos had returned to his job at the Ministry. And Ria could see a bit more light return to his eyes day by day as he almost returned to his old ways.

He was at the Ministry most of the day, doing his job, gathering any information that would be useful for the Order, while Ria and Theo stayed at home.

Esther and Sirius still visited once in a while, but not as frequently as before, since Ria seemed to be better in her senses now. And they couldn't help but give the boy a little credit.

"It's because she believes he's her responsibility." Esther had told Amos. "She's taken responsibility, and she's the type of girl that will see to it till she is satisfied with her job."

That was true. But there was still this little worry on her mind.

It had almost been another month. And she still hadn't told him about her Obscurus.

There were numerous different ways she could see this entire thing wrong.

But not worse than the Death-eaters. She always reminded herself. I'll tell him and Blaise.. I'll tell them together.

She would only give in to her fear the day she'd see some vision.. and she hoped that day never arrived.

Although it became one of the least of her worries when, on a random Saturday morning, she saw Remus Lupin out of all people in the house.

He looked more ragged than ever.. with his appearance as well as clothes. His face was gaunt and grim. His brown hair was patched with even more gray..

"Remus!" She breathed out with surprise.

"Hello, Ria." He only sent his usual, warm smile her way. Though it was different.

It had been different ever since Isabella's death.

It felt like there was a wall between them now; the comfort and ease somewhat gone. If there was anything, it was the awareness that the person that connected them wasn't here anymore.

"Where have you been?" The words left her before she could help herself. She had been worried. "I haven't seen you since the day of Mum's funeral."

She knew she was being a hypocrite asking that question. That she hadn't read his letters. That she would have ignored him just like the rest of them if he had come to meet her.