⏤ 36. rumours

Ria couldn't stop glaring at the blonde boy. Half her mind was into the new Care of Magical Creatures' Professor's words, while the other half roamed through distinct realities, planning the perfect murder of Draco Malfoy.

He looked at Grubbly-Plank attentively, then gulped nervously. He took a chance to peer at Asteria, but looked back at the Professor almost just as quickly.

'An alarmingly large and ferocious-looking man, Hagrid has been using his newfound authority to terrify the students in his care with a succession of horrific creatures. While Dumbledore turns a blind eye, Hagrid has maimed several pupils during a series of lessons that many admit to being "very frightening".'

That was what that foul excuse of a living being, Rita Skeeter, had written about him. And Hagrid had been replaced with Grubbly-Plank since then.

Yes, Hagrid was a half-giant. But he took care of his creatures like his own children and would never harm any student.

"I was attacked by a hippogriff, and my friend Vincent Crabbe got a bad bite off a flobberworm," says Draco Malfoy, a fourth-year student. "We all hate Hagrid, but we're just too scared to say anything."

She scowled internally. Flobberworms didn't even have teeth, for Merlin's sake. They weren't even thick enough to come up with a good complaint.

"Some more seconds and we'll see two extra holes at the side of his head." Blaise commented, making her give him a bored look. "What? You're so damn angry, I feel like my hair will burn off any second now." He added, making Theo giggle.

He quickly shut his mouth though, but Ria and Blaise were already giving him a look of disbelief. "Did you just giggle?" She asked.

Nott cleared his throat. "I don't know why you'd think that.." He replied elegantly.

Ria turned to Blaise. "Is he broken?" She asked in a whisper.

Had she mentioned how much she cringed at adults giggling?

"What do Muggles do in this situation? Do we put him in rice?" Blaise questioned back.

"Hey!" The boy in discussion scowled. "I can hear you!" He whispered.

The two looked at him in shock, then at each other. "Merlin's ball-sack! He can? How did we not think about that?" At Blaise's sarcastic question, the boy scowled again.

The two then turned towards each other, amused, and raised their hands simultaneously. But before they could high-five, the Professor scolded them for not paying attention and ordered Ria to join the girls in approaching the unicorns.

Harry's mind had often floated to various possibilities after that night. He wished he wasn't so stupid. What if he had not tried to cast the charm on her? What would that night have made him and Asteria?